pivot table treating some values differently

bradams

I have a pivot table where the Row is Zip Code and the Value is a count of zip code. In other words, it is counting how many times each zip code appears in my data set. There are 35 zip code values. Everything works perfectly for 33 of the 35 but for some reason the pivot table is treating 2 of the zip codes differently. Let's call the two outlier zip codes A and B. At the end of the 33 zip codes, it is inserting a subtotal. Then below the subtotal are the rows for A and B.

I have a related pivot table where the zip codes are grouped by county. A and B are left out of the pivot table entirely even though I've double-checked to make sure they are associated with a county in the data set. Other zip codes for the same county work fine.

I cannot figure out what is causing the pivot table to treat A and B unlike the other 33 zip codes. I have rebuilt the pivot table from scratch. I used format painter to make sure the rows in my data set where A and B appear are formatted exactly the same as the other rows. There are no filters being applied. I'm not sure what else to check and would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Never mind. That wasn't a subtotal. It was a count of rows that had IF formulas returning "". It just happened to be roughly 50% of the total number of rows so I assumed it was a subtotal. Dumb mistake.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back