Pivot Table Views with multiple Values selected

PCRIDE

Hi, I am wondering what creates the following Pivot table view. It seems that the view changes when you start messing with the ordering of the values, and you can never get it back the way it was.

When you have a pivot table with multiple Values in the values box, the pivot table will sometimes display the data in grouping of the months

For example you might have some data like costs per month and you have a 4 month view, in row 1 you have your cost item, then the 3 values in the pivot table might be Cost, Quantity, and GM%. The pivot table may automatically display it grouped by Month, like

January, then as a sub column you would have Cost, Quantity and GM%, then February Cost, Quantity and GM%, then March Cost, Quantity and GM% etc... when fiddling around with the values the pivot table can end up like

January Cost, February Cost, March Cost, then January Quantity, February Quantity, March Quantity, then January GM%, February GM%, March GM%

Is there a setting for this? Seems that its controlled by the Values and what you put in that field for the pivot table.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You need to watch the order of the fields in ROWS/COLUMNS.
Also changing where the SIGMA symbol resides matters too. Excel tries to be helpful....

Upvote 0
You need to watch the order of the fields in ROWS/COLUMNS.
Also changing where the SIGMA symbol resides matters too. Excel tries to be helpful....

Does an order matter? I had 2 Values in my pivot table, it was the latter view, then I added a 3rd value and it all switched so I have all 3 values grouped by month.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back