Pivot Table with both % & Text - Showing 0 (zero)

spydey

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
My data table has several columns with both numbers, displayed as %, and Text. The text is: N/A.

Please note, it is not #N/A, just simply N/A, and is text, not the result of a formula/function.

When I pivot out the data table, the N/A are being shown as a 0 and thus 0.00%.

I need to carry over/display the N/A as such in my pivot table, instead of a 0.

I have gone through various menus, options, blogs, websites, etc, and can't seem to find a way to do it.

I have found references to #N/A, but that is coming from the result of a formula/function.

My end goal is to make a pivot chart. I need to have the data points in the chart, where there is a N/A, be blank, not 0 on the chart .... just blank, lacking data, nothing there.

Also, my chart will have a data table as one of the chart elements, and so I need the N/A to show up in there instead of the 0.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc?

-Spydey

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
My data table has several columns with both numbers, displayed as %, and Text. ...
-Spydey

You should not be mixing data types for a field.
However, did you look at the Pivot Table Options\Layout and Format tab?
"For error values show:"
&
"For empty cells show:"

Upvote 0
You should not be mixing data types for a field.
However, did you look at the Pivot Table Options\Layout and Format tab?
"For error values show:"
&
"For empty cells show:"

Yes, I had tried those, but I think I figured it out.

I am going to change all the N/A to #N/A so that it is perceived as an error and will in turn leave it blank instead of a 0.

Thanks SpillerBD for your help. It got me on the right track.

-Spydey

Upvote 0
I am going to change all the N/A to #N/A so that it is perceived as an error and will in turn leave it blank instead of a 0. -Spydey

Just remember, it must be an actual error as opposed to be a text string of "#N/A"

Upvote 0
My data table has several columns with both numbers, displayed as %, and Text. The text is: N/A.

Please note, it is not #N/A, just simply N/A, and is text, not the result of a formula/function.

When I pivot out the data table, the N/A are being shown as a 0 and thus 0.00%.

I need to carry over/display the N/A as such in my pivot table, instead of a 0.

I have gone through various menus, options, blogs, websites, etc, and can't seem to find a way to do it.

I have found references to #N/A, but that is coming from the result of a formula/function.

My end goal is to make a pivot chart. I need to have the data points in the chart, where there is a N/A, be blank, not 0 on the chart .... just blank, lacking data, nothing there.

Also, my chart will have a data table as one of the chart elements, and so I need the N/A to show up in there instead of the 0.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc?

-Spydey

My Response:

Hi
I guess if you are having five columns one of the column has no Values but NAs, if so, select the NA valued columnàCtrl + 1, àSelect Customàtype the following formula in the custom mode
General;-General;"NA" à click okay.

Now you will see the results you wanted.

Upvote 0
Just remember, it must be an actual error as opposed to be a text string of "#N/A"

Interestingly enough, I changed the text string from N/A to #N/A and it is working now as hoped/expected.

I will keep in mind what you said though incase I come across any issues.

Thanks again!

-Spydey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back