Pivot Tables Limit Number of Columns (inconsistently)

wotonka

Board Regular
Hello,
I am having a hard time with Pivot tables. I have an 8 column pivot table, and when I want to add another field, the message is:...

"Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row or column field off the pivot table, or to the page position. Alternatively, right click a field, then hid or hide levels. "

This puzzles me, since I have another pivot table on another tab that I am working on, and that pivot table has 12 columns (although it won't let me add a 13th column). Does anyone know how Excel determines when it has "had enough", thereby prohibiting the addition of another column? Is there a work around?

Also, does any one know how to use the "fields per column" scrolling selector? I have played around with entering 1,2,3 etc, and it doesn't seem to have an effect. What is its purpose.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer !

Guy
aka Wotonka

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Depends on the version. Have a look in Excel Help for "Limits in Microsoft Excel". Might not have what you want though.

Upvote 0
Brian,
Thanks for your reply. Since posting the original question, I have searched the Mr.Excel database and find quite a few users experiencing the same error message. It seems that although powerful, pivot tables are limited.

Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back