Pivot Tables - Not allowing independent filtering

hmltnangel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Morning all,

Had a search and could not find an answer.

I have a sheet with three pivot tables on it. All sourcing data from the same table. The table has three company names within it. I want each pivot to show the data for the individual companies. However, if I select a company name in the Pivot Table field lists filters, then all three pivots are auto changed to the same selection.

Any suggestions? Or is it just not possible?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
That should not happen unless you are using a slicer connected to all three pivot tables.

Upvote 0
Thats just it, I thought "slicer" but I dont. Its really weird.

Upvote 0
Which version of Excel are you using, and have you loaded the data into the data model, or is it a regular pivot table?

Upvote 0
Hi Rory,

Which version of Excel are you using, and have you loaded the data into the data model, or is it a regular pivot table?

Excel 2016 and no - regular Pivot Table

Also, an update.

If I use the filter within Pivot Table fields, on the right. Then it only works for a single pivot table.

If I actually add the filter into the pivot table fields (by dragging it into the filter area) then it allows me the option to filter independently.

HOWEVER, when I do this then it loses the blank months for one of the companies, which doesn't look neat from a reporting perspective. (I would like all three to be the same. Any suggestions there?

Upvote 0
Oh, I see. Yes, if you filter the field in the field list, then it filters the source data cache and will apply to all pivots that use that cache.

It sounds like you need to set your month field to show items with no data.

Upvote 0
Thats what I though as well, but then if I do that .... then instead of just the last twelve months, it shows Blanks for the whole of 2019/2020. There must be a way to show just what I want ? ....it seems like I can get one or the other - but not the happy medium in between.

Upvote 0
You can just filter those out. Or if they are no longer part of your actual data set, you just need to set the pivot table to not retain old data items.

Upvote 0
Daft question Rory, but " set the pivot table to not retain old data items. " - hwo do I do that?

I cant filter them either, it wont let me - it allows filtering by month only - not yy/mm

Upvote 0
First, if you're going to cross-post, please follow the rules and provide the relevant links (both here and elsewhere).

You didn't mention that you had grouped by year and then month. If you do that, you're out of luck as your requirements become contradictory.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back