Pivot Tables Product Summary Function

EnnyKraft

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
In Pivot Tables values can be summarized by various functions like Sum, Average etc. Can anyone give me an example where Product gives you any meaningful results? All I get is a #num error no matter what I do and all Google showed me was a post from someone saying they've never used it.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Product in Pivots, to my knowledge, is not regularly used. It may have been included for consistency's sake. This function is similar to the function in Excel =PRODUCT(range) that returns the numbers in the range multiplied together. If you have 3 in A2 and 2 in A3 and your function is =PRODUCT(A2:A3) it returns 6. The Product function works in PivotTables in the same way. It will return the results multiplied together.
The results of the Product function are usually very large. Large numbers are often shown in Scientific number format (3.43565E12). You can format the numbers as Number format, instead of Scientific format. Remember that the internal precision of Excel is only 15 significant digits and numbers calculated above 15 digits will show the last numbers as 0.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back