Pivottable source data keeps changing

thomasb82

Hi, i've got this persistent problem in my excel file that suddenly started appearing:
got a huge document with several columns and data. Using pivottables to get statistics(median age etc).
The pivottable pick up data from the entire sheet, like this "Aktuellt!$A$1:$AD$999"

however, when i open the files and try to update the tables, the source data references has changed to something else, like "Aktuellt!$A$16:$AD$16" (only one row). So i get an error message saying theres not enough rows to collect data from. I then have to redo all 32343 tables...

Anyone know why the source data reference in the pivottable changes? Could it be cos some users(shared document) keeps deleting rows?

thanks!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
It could be that users are deleting / adding rows, Yes.

I recommend that you hold the data in a table, or create a dynamic named range.

To help you, can you please tell me which column of data you are assured will house data in the last record of the table, and will that column be number or text?

Upvote 0
hey jon, thanks for your answer. not sure if understand you correctly, the sheet i'm picking data from has 24 columns, contatining both numbers, dates and text. each row contains data on a singe person(age, name etc). Users then add rows themselves, with new people. So i guess a dynamic range would work perhaps, since they keep adding rows?

Upvote 0
What I'm trying to determine is which lead column is best suited to determine where your last record lies. So I assume that a record MUST contain a last name, or perhaps an ID referring to the person? So on this basis, lets assume this is in column A.

Go to Name Manager and create a new name.
Name: pvt_PeopleData
Refers to: =INDEX(Aktuellt!$A$:$A,1,1):INDEX(Aktuellt!$AD$:$AD,MATCH(REPT("Z",255),Aktuellt!$A$:$A,1)),1)

Then you can refer to the named range in your pivot source. E.g. =pvt_PeopleData

In terms of the red bits:
1. I am assuming we are looking for the last
text entry in column A. If you choose a lead coulmn on numeric type, then substitute the REPT() with 10^308.
2. I have chosen column
A as the lead column. Change this to suit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hm...tricky.. Column A contains dates, is formated as such as well. so the forumla should use the 10^308 then i assume?, i get an formula error though trying to use this:

=INDEX(Aktuellt!C$:$C,1,1):INDEX(Aktuellt!$AD$:$AD,MATCH(10^308("Z",255),Aktuellt!$A$:$A,1)),1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back