Placeholder / Conditional Formatting Solution Needed

ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi. I have the worksheet in the screenshot attached. I want the purple-themed squares to appear with a white background and purple coloured text when the smaller bottom cell is blank (i.e. the relevant cell in the first worksheet is blank). When the bottom cell is equal to the bigger cell above, I want the bottom cell to have a purple fill and purple text and the top cell to have a purple fill and white text. This is to highlight when the condition has been met and fills the the square to show it is completed. I have come up with conditional formatting to do this cell-by-cell, but there are 1,000 boxes and this will be unfeasible to repeat 1,000 times.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 09.48.35.png

I only added the smaller cells (below the larger main ones) originally, so that I could do a calculation upon which the bigger cell could conditional format - if there is a why that a placeholder / watermark could be in each main larger cell, rather than having to have a smaller cell below, this would be ideal. I have manually changed the colours for the first 4 boxes as an example of what I'm trying to achieve.

As i said earlier, I want to repeat the process for all 1,000 boxes and their relevant colours.

Link to file (small in size) below:

Analogue Tracker WORKING.xlsx

Thanks in advance!

Olly.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
So you want to fill cell B3 with color white?

You don't need helper cell/row. Put new rule of conditional formatting for this cell, where formula is:
=VLOOKUP(B3;'All Completed Runs'!$A:$A,1,0)=B3

Then copy formatting of this cell to rest of the cells you want to color.
Additional (helper) rows are not necessary.

Upvote 0

You don't need helper cell/row. Put new rule of conditional formatting for this cell, where formula is:

Thanks. If the number hasn't been achieved in the first worksheet, I want the cell to appear white with purple text and if it is not in the first worksheet then I want it to appear with a purple fill and white text. This is so that there is always a number showing, but white background shows incomplete and purple background is complete.

Upvote 0

Could you possibly do this in the file, please? I can't get it to work, I get errors. Referencing B3 gives a circular reference, as B3 is where the formula is being entered.

Upvote 0
My bad, after first B3 I left ";" instead of ",".
Try now, and choose correct format in conditional formatting for this cell
Code:
=VLOOKUP(B3,'All Completed Runs'!$A:$A,1,0)=B3

BTW: as I understand you search for same number in column A of first sheet as in B3 in the second sheet. I understood that this is the condition.

Upvote 0
Solution
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back