Please help me determine how this formula/reference was created.

kurt7066

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm in the process of creating my own mortgage calculation spreadsheet. I've gotten pretty far along and I'm mostly happy with how it works, but I stumbled on a spreadsheet created by someone else and I can't figure out how they set up one of their formulas. At the top of the sheet they have a cell that shows the Total Interest Paid. Below that they have a column that has an "INTEREST" label and shows all the individual interest payments over the term. Somehow they get the total of all the values in this column to show up in that cell at the top. I can't see how they did it.

FWIW The individual interest payments range from "I16:I314". The entry in the cell in question is: "=@TotalInterest" (I'm pretty sure when I looked at this on my computer at work it did not have the @ sign.) I just read the help note from Microsoft on "Implicit intersection operator: @ " and I basically get the idea of what they're saying, but it doesn't answer my question as to how entering "=@TotalInterest" or "=TotalInterest" into a cell provides the sum from a column. I checked to see if they had created a named table and they had, but the table was the entire table including all columns and is named "PaymentSchedule" not "TotalInterest".

I thought I could make the same thing work by entering "=SUM(I16:I)" into the same cell, but it gave me a "Name" error. I've used that syntax with array formulas before, so I don't know why it didn't work here, but I changed it to "=SUM(I16:I360)" and it seems to work fine. So I have a solution that works for me, but I would really like to know what kind of voodoo was used in this sheet I found on the net.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Have a look in the name manager, you will probably see TotalInterest in there.

Upvote 0
Yes! It is there. It refers to an equation "=SUM(PaymentSchedule[INTEREST])". So that explains how it knows what to do and where to do it.
I'm curious as to how this is set up. It seems that TotalInterest is being used like a function name to stand in place of the formula. I would have just put the formula in the cell.

How do you make one of these?

Upvote 0
To create one, in name manager select new, give it a name & then enter the formula in the applies to box.
I don't really see the point in using it for that formula, but it means that you can use the name in multiple places, although if it needs changing, you just change the formula in one place (the name manger)

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back