Please help me simplify my formula

MAP

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Firstly, I am a novice working with Excel 2010 and using only formulas. I am working on a worksheet to help do a little bookkeeping. I am using the following formula in Column F as "helper cells" to determine what type of transaction is happening so I can have conditional formatting color the cell. If cell in column A was CREDIT, the value assigned to this column F helper cell would be 1... DEBIT would be 2, CHECK would be 3, 9030 would be 4, 4846 would be 5, and if column A cell was empty, the value would be 0 (zero).

=IF(A35="Credit",1,(IF(A35="debit",2,(IF(A35="check",3,(IF(A35="9030",4,(IF(A35="4846",5,0)))))))))

Can you help me simplify it? I know there has to be a better and easier way to do this.

Also, the numbers "9030" and "4846" are not getting recognized... apparently Excel is expecting a particular type of formatting (maybe text), but I seem to be pasting a number (from what the bank's transaction lists provides)

Excel experts, Please help me to get my formula to work and then to help me simplify it.

ABCDEF
Details​
Date
Description
Amount
Type
DEBIT
Thu, Jan 02, 2020​
WELLS BANK
(1,688.64)​
ACH_DEBIT
=IF(A35="Credit",1,(IF(A35="debit",2,(IF(A35="check",3,(IF(A35="9030",4,(IF(A35="4846",5,0)))))))))
CREDIT
Thu, Jan 02, 2020
QuickPay with Zelle payment
1,703.00​
QUICKPAY_CREDIT
CHECK
Mon, Jan 06, 2020​
CHECK 6304
(150.00)​
CHECK_PAID
9030​
Tue, Jul 14, 2020​
WAL-MART #2
(16.02)​
Food & Drink
4846​
Wed, Jul 08, 2020​
EXXONMOBIL 480
(20.00)​
Gas

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Also, the numbers "9030" and "4846" are not getting recognized
It should be 9030 and 4846, not "9080" and "4846". Numbers should not be enclosed in double inverted commas.

Unless you need to add more IF's to the existing formula, your's is the simple version. The 'proper' way would be with a lookup table, but with a small list there is no advantage.

With a stand alone formula you could use this one, but it will probably take longer to calculate than your existing formula.

=IFERROR(MATCH(A35,{"Credit","debit","check",9030,4846},0),0)

For a lookup table you would use almost the same (slower) formula, but with the 5 criteria listed elsewhere in the sheet instead of in the formula.

Upvote 0
It should be 9030 and 4846, not "9080" and "4846". Numbers should not be enclosed in double inverted commas.

Unless you need to add more IF's to the existing formula, your's is the simple version. The 'proper' way would be with a lookup table, but with a small list there is no advantage.

With a stand alone formula you could use this one, but it will probably take longer to calculate than your existing formula.

=IFERROR(MATCH(A35,{"Credit","debit","check",9030,4846},0),0)

For a lookup table you would use almost the same (slower) formula, but with the 5 criteria listed elsewhere in the sheet instead of in the formula.
Hello jasonb75, i thank you for your explanation. I now realize i should have used the numbers without the quote marks.

If you can explain how your IFERROR(MATCH formula can work, i will be greatly appreciative.

I still hope there will be a simpler solution than my multi-nested IF formula

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?
Please update your account details to show this, as it affects what functions you can use. Thanks

Upvote 0
I still hope there will be a simpler solution than my multi-nested IF formula
With excel 2019 / 365 you could use IFS instead of IF

=IFS(A35="Credit",1,A35="debit",2,A35="check",3,A35=9030,4,A35=4846,5,TRUE,0)

Other than that, trying to simplify it will be a false economy, I provided the match formula for you as an example, but for a list as short as yours I would personally stick with IF's or IFS depending on version.

If you can explain how your IFERROR(MATCH formula can work, i will be greatly appreciative.
Excel comes with a help file that tells you how all of the functions work. Type =MATCH into an empty cell, then press the f1 key (works for any function).

Upvote 0
with 2019/365 another option
=Switch(A35="Credit",1,"debit",2,"check",3,9030,4,4846,5,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back