Please recommend a VBA book . . .

Evagrius Ponticus

Hey Gang, I was wondering if any of you would recommend a book for someone who is new to VBA but would like to learn and eventually become very competent . . . all the books I've looked at so far seem to assume that the reader already has VBA knowledge . . . .

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
The 3 best resources for learning VBA

1. This Forum (or others like it). - this accounts for probably 2/3 of my VBA
2. The Macro Recorder - Tools - Macro - Record New Macro. This is about 1/3

3. Your imagination.

Upvote 0
I'm new to excel also, and I would say that Excel 2003, Power programming with VBA by Walkenbach the best basic primer if you are looking to automate Excel.

If you are looking to integrate Access and Excel "Microsoft Excel & Access Integration with Office 2007" by Michael Alexander and Geoffrey Clark is a good intro also.

Upvote 0
I've learned sooooooo much just from these forums more than any book could teach.

Also, I took a class with new horizons which was also beneficial.

when i took the classes the professor recommended any of the unleashed books.

I didn't bother but I hear they are good.

That and I wouldn't mind sending money to mr. excel for some of his products.

Upvote 0
Also, the help tool on excel is incredible. I think many people miss this but its a wonderful tool

Upvote 0
Honestly, I am getting somewhat discouraged with trying to learn VBA, a number of times I find myself questioning if I can even do it . . .the books I read seem to jump from easy straight to advanced . . .at times I have no idea what they are talking about. Also, I was told the recorder is not the best way to learn . . . the for Dummies book was nice to begin, but he doesn't have many examples . . .

Upvote 0
Please see my post above.

I have no connection whatsoever with this company but it will help you. A few $s required.

After that you can learn. A bit like learning to drive after passing your driving test.

Upvote 0
Take a look at VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Business Solutions). This is good for beginner to intermediate, and if you don't like the dummies book it may be a better choice.

Also read:
Formulas and Functions with Microsoft Excel 2003 (Business Solutions) - you can't use excel vba if you don't understand excel.

Notwithstanding your experience, I learned a lot from the dummies book for my first steps (debugging, custom functions, custom dialog box, userforms, input boxes) -- the one by john walkenbach, not the mueller book. True, it doesn't give many examples and isn't very detailed, but it does offer a first try for everything.

I also got a lot of help at Ozgrid.com (scan their articles from the monthly newsletter and check out their sample macros) and here.

I also like Excel 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference (Wrox press). It doesn't get good reviews and is probably not a good first book, but I like the chapters on Working with Worksheets, Working with Ranges, and Names very much - I recommend these highly (strangely, you don't get working with ranges until chapter 19 - which is why this is not a beginners book).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back