Polynomial Regression Equation Formulas?

conwaycom

I know you can view various trend lines in Excel by adding a trend line to an existing chart. Furthermore, you can view the formula on the chart which provides the equation that describes the tend line shown.

Background:
In my model, I'm trying to identify numerous (50+) unique polynomial equations (6th order, based on X/Y scatterplot relationships). Currently, the only way to identify the formula is to build 50+ charts, show the trend line, and then manually enter the regression equation shown.

Question:
Is there a way for excel to automatically generate the regression equation (6th order, polynomial)? This would prevent the entire manual entry process.

Thanks,
Steve

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Perhaps this will work for you!

Enter your data in, say, A1:B30
Click on Tools, Macro, Record New Macro
Highlight the area A1:B30
Click on the Chart Wizard, choose, say, Ctrl+Shift+c as hot-keys, and construct your xy(scatter) chart, using the curve type of your choice (polynomial of the 6th degree, for you).
Right-click on the curve, and choose Trend Line, then, Options, and check the Show Trend-line Equation.
Close the macro

Enter the new data in the range A1:B30, and see the new results, including the new trend line. Or, delete the chart, enter the new data, then press Ctrlss+Shift+C...

Upvote 0
Good idea regarding the macro.

Using your example, I'm wondering if excel can use the data in A1:B30 (x and y variables), and then product the regression equation based on those inputs (6th degree, polynomial). Or, perhaps there's a way of enabling excel to provide the X1 variable, x2 variable, etc, in individual cells, which enables me to piece them together to form the x1 + x2 + x3, etc. in a master formula?

Upvote 0
Ah, my suggestion will give the equation for y, based on x. It seems you want an equation for x, based on y, right? Would swapping the x and y values give you the equation you need? Not positive about this, but, it might be worth a try.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back