Populate a template (sheet 1) based on a master list (sheet 2) under certain criteria (a date)

PGBarrys

Hi,
I've got a spreadsheet which gets added to daily with information about people and events within our organisation. The master list has 20-30 columns (eg, date, last name, first name, age, event, classification, start time, finish time, etc etc)
what I am looking to do, is have a template as a separate sheet, which pulls in certain information from the master list, for a particular day.
so let's say the master list is completed for 2014, with between 15-50 events per day. I want to creat a template sheet which will pull in info for 4th march (as eg). So I enter the date, in template cell A1 say, and the template pulls in the "important" columns from the master list, for all entries for that day. For this example, maybe just last name, first name, event and classification.
if I change the date in A1, the template just updates for all the entries.
Is that possible?? I presume there is some sort of macro but my vba skills are useless!
thanks!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
if these columns are adjacent create a table and autofilter table for that DATE. filtered data can be copied to another location

Upvote 0
Hi,
if your master data is in table / database format then you probably can do what you want using Advance Filter without need for marcos.
Have a look here for guidance & can download a free sample workbook:http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding both dmt32 and venkat1926. I've never played with the advanced filters before, but I've jsut spent the last hour or so playing and I dont think it does what i am looking for. On my 'template' sheet, I was hoping that I could enter the date in a cell, and the fields I've set up in the template (which are all headers within the master sheet) will be populated where the date in the master sheet matches the template date. The long way around would be to cut and paste, but I see this as being a long way around and was hoping to automate it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!</SPAN>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back