Populate cell ranges based on a drop down

stltom554

Hi everyone. I have a bi weekly time sheet I am trying to automate a bit to save time for officers for payroll (and to get away from the dreaded hand written forms).

I have everything worked out as far as figuring the time in my columns but I am having some problems one two issues I can't find a solution for.

1. I am trying to populate the Schedule code, time in, and time out based on the squad. This very rarely changes so I want to be able to select, populate and change if needed. I have drop downs to keep everything uniform in the Schedule Code column, however, I don't think I can validate against the list and use a formula (like VLOOKUP) to do what I am trying to do.
  2. I would like to just be able to put in the military time at 1800 and it automatically convert to 18:00. (1947=19:47 and so on).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2020-02-13 07.51.26.png
Screenshot 2020-02-13 07.51.34.png

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I would like to just be able to put in the military time at 1800 and it automatically convert to 18:00. (1947=19:47 and so on).

right click on range \ Format Cells \ NumberFormat \ Custom Format with this string
00":"00

CustomFormat.jpg

Upvote 0
I am trying to populate the Schedule code, time in, and time out based on the squad. This very rarely changes so I want to be able to select, populate and change if needed. I have drop downs to keep everything uniform in the Schedule Code column, however, I don't think I can validate against the list and use a formula (like VLOOKUP) to do what I am trying to do.
You are correct it is one or the other

You could use VBA to populate the cells based on a lookup of standard values and then have Data Validation control any changes

Upvote 0
right click on range \ Format Cells \ NumberFormat \ Custom Format with this string
00":"00

View attachment 6586
Works great except now it jacks up my formula to determine the time worked. Example: =((F5-C5+(F5<C5))-(E5-D5+(E5<D5)))

I then take the time worked and convert it into 1/4 hour format: =IF(A5="g",0,IF(A5="h",0,IF(A5="V",0,IF(A5="S",0,IF(A5="CT",0,(INT(G5)*24+HOUR(G5)+ROUND(MINUTE(G5)/60,2)))))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back