Populate cell with value where empty

dpmaki

Board Regular
I need to come up with some code that will allow me to put in a certain value "555555" where any values in column N are empty. I need to use M as the driver here meaning that I need to xlup on column M and offset by 1 so that I can apply the 555555 value to all the empty cells in N down to the last populated cell in column M. Anyone have any idea on how to do this?

excel-2.jpg

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
dpmaki,

Give this a try:
Code:
Sub tgr()

On Error Resume Next
    Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Columns("N")).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Value = 55555

End Sub

Upvote 0
This should do what you asked for...

Code:
Range("N1:N" & Cells(Rows.Count, "M").End(xlUp).Row).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Value = 55555

Upvote 0
dpmaki,

Give this a try:
Code:
Sub tgr()

On Error Resume Next
    Intersect(ActiveSheet.[COLOR=red]UsedRange[/COLOR], Columns("N")).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Value = 55555

End Sub
The use of UsedRange could possibly overfill Column N (one, if its last row is not set correctly because of cell editing or, two, if other columns have more data than Column M, say, because of a Total cell at the bottom of some column).

Upvote 0
The use of UsedRange could possibly overfill Column N (one, if its last row is not set correctly because of cell editing or, two, if other columns have more data than Column M, say, because of a Total cell at the bottom of some column).

It's trying to work, but the contents of column N where they appear NULL are actually formulas.

Example - this is what resides in N4: =IF(K4>0,Rebates!I4,"")
Would there be a better way to right the if statement so it's truly putting a NULL in there?

Upvote 0
It's trying to work, but the contents of column N where they appear NULL are actually formulas.

Example - this is what resides in N4: =IF(K4>0,Rebates!I4,"")
Would there be a better way to right the if statement so it's truly putting a NULL in there?
Let me get this straight... you have formula in your cells show the empty string ("") and you want to overwrite the formula with a numerical constant (thus removing the formula from the cell), is that correct? If so, what is in the cells in Column N that are not blank... formulas or constants (that is, if the cell is not blank, is that because you overwrote the formula that was there originally with a numerical constants)?

Upvote 0
Let me get this straight... you have formula in your cells show the empty string ("") and you want to overwrite the formula with a numerical constant (thus removing the formula from the cell), is that correct? If so, what is in the cells in Column N that are not blank... formulas or constants (that is, if the cell is not blank, is that because you overwrote the formula that was there originally with a numerical constants)?

Correct - I have formulas in column N, but not all of column N - the formula has filled those cells already that need to be filled. The thought of the if,than crossed my mind, but not all cells in the column have formulas in them. So I suppose I could use a combo of the if/and plus the code you already gave me.

Upvote 0
Correct - I have formulas in column N, but not all of column N - the formula has filled those cells already that need to be filled. The thought of the if,than crossed my mind, but not all cells in the column have formulas in them. So I suppose I could use a combo of the if/and plus the code you already gave me.
The cells that the formulas already filled in... do they have to stay as formulas or would it be alright to convert them to constants? If it would be alright to convert them to constants, then you could use this code...

Code:
  With Range("N1:N" & Cells(Rows.Count, "M").End(xlUp).Row)
    .Value = .Value
    .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Value = 55555
  End With

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back