Populate data from one column to another

taps86

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
TLDR - rookie here, how can I take column data from a source sheet and load it into a column on another sheet. Both are tables.

Hi, apologies if this is easy to search for, I don't know the right terminology to work out what I need to do!! :)

My knowledges/skills are rudimentary. I've inherited this workbook which has a lot of formula in I don't fully understand, I've managed to make some improvements by borrowing and amending parts, it's a good learning exercise but now I'm stuck.

Current state: c+p a CSV file into one sheet 'JiraExport', then c+p the values from one column into second sheet 'Register'. I'm copying a unique identifier, then based on that identifier there's a whole bunch of index and match queries going on to complete the rest of the sheet and some supporting reports (work sheets).

Target: I managed to use power query to extract the CSV directly into 'JiraExport' to skip that first manual copy and paste.

Now I'm trying to work out how I can get the unique ID column in 'Register' to auto populate based on whatever is in the the related column in 'JiraExport'.

In my register sheet I have a row with the column headings as they come from the data source so that the query can say "look up the column in the export that matches A5 (column heading)" so it doesn't matter of the order of the columns change when exporting.

Sorry for the long one.. :) happy to do more research/trialling/learning, just need a push in the right direction

Also, I did try and link the tables but it said my data had duplicates and I couldn't work out what I go wrong as it's always a unique ID.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back