Populate dropdown list of values from table based on cell value

dbro34

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello,
I've searched this forum and many examples on google of a formula or data validation list formula that might accomplish my needs to no avail. I'm looking to populate a dropdown box's list of values from a table on another sheet that matches a cell value. I've seen many examples of the "cascade" dropdown using the indirect, but don't believe it applies to my situation.

Here is a barebones limited version of the sales order template [Sheet1]. The objective would be to select the options (Choice) for each line item into column B. The values would come from the data table on Sheet2.
Sales Order Template.xlsx
AB
1General
2ItemChoice
3NE State
4Décor Kit
5Countertop Color
7Electrical
8ItemChoice
9Panel Box
10Minisplit
Sales Order Template

Here is the table that holds the choices for the items [Sheet2]. Column C has the line item based on Sheet1 and Column D has the values I want to show in the dropdown on Sheet1, Column B. I would like a formula for the cell or the data validation that gets me to the solution. In the real world, the sales order template would have many more sections and line items and the table of choices would be much larger, so the dropdown list of values would need to be dynamic as choices are added/removed.

Sales Order Template.xlsx
ABCD
1CategoryDepartmentItemChoice
2GENERALGENERALNE StateY
3GENERALGENERALNE StateN
4GENERALFINALDécor KitCoral
5GENERALFINALDécor KitSage
6GENERALFINALCountertop ColorWhite
7GENERALFINALCountertop ColorGrey
8ELECTRICALELECTRICALPanel Box50 Amp
9ELECTRICALELECTRICALPanel Box100 Amp
10ELECTRICALELECTRICALMinisplitY
11ELECTRICALELECTRICALMinisplitN
Choices

Either I can't wrap my head around how to link up the lists or delirium is setting in :LOL:
Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi *dbro34,

It can be done, but I need help remembering the exact steps. I would try to follow the example on ExcelJet.net, a great reference website. How to make dependent dropdown lists in Excel

I hope that helps,

Doug

Hi duggie,
This is what I was referring to as the cascade with indirect setup won't really work in my scenario. The Indirect uses the vertical list to populate the list of values for each category. I'd prefer not to structure the data in this way as it would be a pain to scroll through the options in this manner.

I will try an example setup and see how this might work and report back. Thanks for the response.

Upvote 0
Hi *dbro34,

It can be done, but I need help remembering the exact steps. I would try to follow the example on ExcelJet.net, a great reference website. How to make dependent dropdown lists in Excel

I hope that helps,

Doug

Looks like the data table has to be on the same sheet for this example to work, which is not ideal. So back to my original question...

It's almost like I need to populate the dropdown in B with a lookup formula that returns all values (Choices) for any matching Item in the data table.

Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
The FILTER function would be ideal to return all Choices for any Item but it cannot be used within Data Validation. I searched around for a while and didn't find an obvious way to do it.

I would create another sheet that dynamically creates the lists of Choices for each Item. You could use a TRANSPOSE/SORT/UNIQUE of the Items column to get all of the Items for headers. Under each Item, you could use the FILTER function to return the Choices for that Item. The range sizes should be set up so they increase automatically as you add more Items and Choices. Named ranges, OFFSET function, etc.

With that, you could then set up the data validation with INDIRECT or however the examples you have found.

I hope that helps,

Doug

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back