Populate Table with Relative Number of Relative Entries

jb007

Ha! I bet the title made you think something like: "What the hell is this dude trying to do ?", right ?

Hello fellows,
What I'm trying to create is a system using either a function or a macro that would give me the following result.

Input:
4 A
3 B
5 C
2 D
6 E

This means that I want 4 "A", 3 "B", 5 "C", 2 "D" and 6 "E" on the same row, in columns next to one another.
=> Output: A A A A B B B C C C C C D D E E E E E E
Important: The letters must be in the suggested order and for that exact number of times !!

1)I am actually working with numbers instead of letters, but I reckon it would be the same approach really.

2) In the example above you can only see 20 (4+3+5+2+6) letters, but I'm actually using more than 800 numbers, and they change based on other manual input, and so does their frequency.
( i.e. next time I might need 24 "x", 3 "y" and 17 "z")

3) I have tried 2 approaches so far:

a) Using nested IFs:

This would look something like:
=IF(Columns($A:B)<4,"A",if(Columns($A:B)<3,"B",if(Columns($A:B)<5,"C",...etc..)))) --> instead of 4, 3 and 5 having cell references, of course

But even 64 IFs (maximum number Excel 2010 can support) are not enough, and I would really use something else rather than a formula that fills two thirds of my screen.

b) Create another sheet from where to VLOOKUP the number (letter) that I want.
In the example above, I need to have in my table:
"A" from columns 1 to 4
"B" from columns 5 to 7
"C" from columns 8 to 12
"D" from columns 13 to 14
"E" from columns 15 to 20

Therefore, in the other sheet that I created, there would automatically be 5 tables generated one next to the other
Table 1: from 1 to 4 => columns 1 2 3 4 -> are filled with the letter "A"
Table 2: from 5 to 7 => columns 5 6 7 -> are filled with the letter "B"
Table 3: from 8 to 12 => columns 8 9 10 11 12 -> are filled with the letter "C"
Table 4: from 13 to 14 => columns 13 14 -> are filled with the letter "D"
Table 5: from 15 to 20 => columns 15 16 17 18 19 20 -> are filled with the letter "E"

Potential problem: Since the frequency of each letter is not fixed, I need to create very large (large number of columns) tables.
(i.e. each of the 5 tables could have like 50 columns, because there is the possibility of having 50 "A"s, which would require a table that has 50 columns, all filled with "A")

Now, if I have a 50 columns space in table 1, and I only need 4 "A", the first table would only contain
-> the 1 2 3 4 columns, all filled with "A" (the rest of 46 columns would remain empty)
-> the 2nd table would contain the 5 6 7 columns, all filled with "B" (the rest 50-3=47 columns remain empty)
-> until the last table would contain the last 6 columns filled with "E" ( the rest 50-6=44 columns remain empty)

Actual problem: As previously stated, I'm working with an 800-something column table, and using this approach, I ended up creating a 8,000 column table (because most of it is empty, as you can see) in the second sheet, used for VLOOKUP-ing data.
And by the way, Excel has around 16,000 columns sheets, so it's obvious that another approach is needed, but I am a bit stuck.
I feel that there is a faster and clever way of achieving this, but the solution is not obvious to me at the moment.

PS: The reason for which I created the very large 8,000 columns table in the second sheet that contains all the columns (from 1 to 800) that I need, is that I want to simply be able to use VLOOKUP in the main sheet, w/o using any Nested IFs.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Two options:

VBA code would be very easy to write for this

Second, look into =REPT. If your sample (small sample) data begins in A1:

Code:
=REPT(B1,A1)&REPT(B2, A2)&REPT(B3, A3)&REPT(B4, A4)&REPT(B5, A5)

Upvote 0
The second options would be a bit clumsy, because in reality, instead of letters I'm using numbers (with many decimals)
For example I need to have: 1.312321 1.312321 1.312321 2.8809 2.8809 2.8809 2.8809 .. etc

Could you help me with the VBA code please ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back