Populating Cells with "N/A" based on another cells input

Jimborusk13

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So ive made a checklist an i am now trying to add formulas that make it user friendly and more efficient. Ive attached a snapshot to reference as i talk through what i am in need of. When the user is going down the checklist each cell in column C contains a pulldown list to make the selection. Based on the selection made in Cell C77 would determine which of the next 3 sections need to be used, in the snapshot that identified as the letters Section A, Section B, & Section C in the gray heading rows. So in the snap shot "C" is selected in cell C77, i would want the checklist items appearing in Sections A & B to auto populate with "N/A", and the items in section C to remain blank so they can be processed by the user. If C77 was populated with "B" then cells in Section A & Section C would be populated with "N/A".

I hope that makes enough sense to get my idea.
If you have any other questions please let me know

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    191 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi mate,

Assuming the cell that gets filled in with "a b or c" is C77 (you can change the formula accordingly if not),

In C79, C80, C81 (section a):

=IF(OR(C77="C",C77="B"),"N/A","")

In C83, C84, C85 (section b):

=IF(OR(C77="A",C77="C"),"N/A","")

In C87, C88, C89 (section c):

=IF(OR(C77="A",C77="B"),"N/A","")

This leaves one possible problem, when the cells are filled out by the user, it will remove the formula. Perhaps consider inserting another column next to the cells that says N/A, pointing to the cell? Unless once the form is filled in, it doesn't matter too much?

I hope this helps.

S Macloskey

Upvote 0
one possible problem, when
Hi mate,

Assuming the cell that gets filled in with "a b or c" is C77 (you can change the formula accordingly if not),

In C79, C80, C81 (section a):

=IF(OR(C77="C",C77="B"),"N/A","")

In C83, C84, C85 (section b):

=IF(OR(C77="A",C77="C"),"N/A","")

In C87, C88, C89 (section c):

=IF(OR(C77="A",C77="B"),"N/A","")

This leaves one possible problem, when the cells are filled out by the user, it will remove the formula. Perhaps consider inserting another column next to the cells that says N/A, pointing to the cell? Unless once the form is filled in, it doesn't matter too much?

I hope this helps.

S Macloskey

Awesome! i appreciate the quick help once that form is filled-in it wont be touched again so that doesn't matter. Thank you again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back