Populating worksheet using the Indirect function and copying that formula across the cells

makomborero

down vote favorite Hi I am currently creating a budget and am stuck on the formulas i need to get the data on various worksheets pulled into specific sheets. I have created worksheets for Jan to Dec for my household expenditure and have also another worksheet which i intend to use as the summary sheet from which when i select a month will be populated by the data from months worksheet. I have managed to create a dropdown for selecting the months and use the indirect function INDIRECT(""&$E$3&"!E8") to get from a single cell. The challenge comes when i try to copy the formula on the rest of the cells to pull data from, it retains the same value.
How do i make it a dynamic formula so it becomes relative to the cell i have copied to whilst maintaining the dropdown selection for the months?
Another question is , i have also created a frequency dropdown with daily, weekly, monthly, etc. Which function can i use so that when i select for instance daily, the value enter in a cell will apply a function that multiplies it by 365/12 to give a monthly value.

Your help will greatly be appreciated

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I have a solution, a bit long winded but a solution nonetheless.

Where you have the equation
=INDIRECT(""&$E$3&"!E8")
Convert it to something like
=ABS(E8)
And drag this down, this will updated the E8 correctly.
Then highlight all the cells and do a find and replace all. Find =ABS( and replace with £INDIRECT(""&$E$3&"!
Then do another find and replace all. Find ) and replace with ")
Finally another find and replace all. Find £ and replace with =

This should update all the formulas and work like you want.

Upvote 0
Thanks Dkaur, i managed to follow that and it worked. But as you mentioned it's a bit winding but you get there :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back