Positioning Subtotals to the next column on right

1cyril1

Board Regular
Hi, I've searched through 4 pages of "Subtotal" posts in this forum but didn't see one that covers what I need. I just want to have Subtotal values appear to the right of the column being sub-totalled rather than directly below each group of numbers. The col to the right would be created just to hold the subtotal values and facilitate filtering on the subtotal lines only. Is this easy to do?

(I've seen somewhat convoluted suggestions elsewhere that involve showing visible cells but I gave up - hoping there's a simpler approach!)

All suggestions most welcome - thanks!

Cyril

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Using VBA, what you want could be done with a button click. If you are willing to use VBA, post a small sample of your starting data/layout, and indicate which columns you want to subtotal and what subtotal function you want to use. The link below provides several options for producing a layout in your post.
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Upvote 0
Many thanks JoeMo, I'm open to all suggestions! The link you posted doesn't seem to be the correct one?

I basically want to subtotal by value (Col-R below) whenever there's a change in PO No. (Col-F) and have it appear in a new Col-S instead of under the sub-total in Col-R. I'm using Win10 and Office 2016. Unfortunately, our security masters in the workplace won't allow me to install any software so this is the best I can do to provide an idea of what my data looks like (some cols hidden or excluded from this extract - it has many cols!)

COL-F
COL-G
COL-J
COL-K
COL-M
COL-P
COL-R
PO Number
Created by
Material group
PO Description
Contract Number
PO Local Currency
PO Value (Euro)
xx
IT_T-OPS
Description-1
EUR
xx1
VEM_EPART
Description-2
EUR
xx2
CCE_SS-BL
Description-3A
EUR
xx3
CCE_SS-BL
Description-3B
EUR
xx4
FAC_SCAPE
Description-4
EUR
xx5
IT_T-OPS
Description-5
EUR

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hope that helps - thanks again for taking the time to understand and provide a solution!

Upvote 0
Can you clarify for me?
1. Is the data always sorted by PO Number?
2. For the data you posted, there's a change in PO at every line. Do you want a subtotal in col S for each line?

Upvote 0
Yes, I meant to say the Sort is by PO No. (ascending).

Sorry - in reality there will be loads of duplicate POs but the rushed sample I posted was from a filtered view where duplicates are hidden - there can be between 2 and 50 duplicates (or none!) and the subtotal would sum up all corresponding values to give the total for each PO 'family'. Ideally, I'd like the subtotal value to appear in Col S ..... on same row as each 'bottom' PO with no subtotal row at all but if that complicates things unduly please don't worry about it.

Many thanks once more(y)

Upvote 0
Looks like this doesn't require VBA. Here's the sample data you posted. Copy the array formula down to cover all your data, and don't forget that array formulas must be confirmed by ctrl+shift+enter not just enter.
Excel Workbook
FGHIJKLMNOPQRS
1PO NumberCreated byMaterial groupPO DescriptionContract NumberPO Local CurrencyPO Value (Euro)Subtot by PO#
23500120173xxIT_T-OPSDescription-14600012081EUR4,4474,447
33500120194xx1VEM_EPARTDescription-24600015833EUR3,3833,383
43500120198xx2CCE_SS-BLDescription-3A4600018480EUR7,0307,030
53500120199xx3CCE_SS-BLDescription-3B4600018480EUR4,5004,500
63500120202xx4FAC_SCAPEDescription-44600012534EUR3,9603,960
73500120210xx5IT_T-OPSDescription-54600018652EUR6,2306,230
Sheet10

Upvote 0
Excellent Joe - I'd never heard of array formulas before so the learning goes on! Because of the need for care I'd appreciate your expert guidance on the following, before I test it over the next day or two:

1. unlike my sample, the data in my real-life spreadsheet starts in row#7 so 1st formula needed in S7 rather than S2. I could attempt to adjust but not sure I'd get right:oops:
2. each time I need to use the formula (monthly reporting task) the number of rows with data will vary (i.e. do I need to reference the full column to catch all?)

What will the formula need to look like to take account of these 2 factors?

Hopefully, that's all the questions from me - can't wait to try out!

Upvote 0
Excellent Joe - I'd never heard of array formulas before so the learning goes on! Because of the need for care I'd appreciate your expert guidance on the following, before I test it over the next day or two:

1. unlike my sample, the data in my real-life spreadsheet starts in row#7 so 1st formula needed in S7 rather than S2. I could attempt to adjust but not sure I'd get right:oops:
2. each time I need to use the formula (monthly reporting task) the number of rows with data will vary (i.e. do I need to reference the full column to catch all?)

What will the formula need to look like to take account of these 2 factors?

Hopefully, that's all the questions from me - can't wait to try out!
Below is the formula for S7. Copy it from your browser then enter it in S7, with S7 selected click in the formula bar and press ctrl+shift+enter to convert the formula to an array formula. If you are successful with these steps you will notice that Excel adds opening and closing braces: {=your formula} around the formula signifying it's an array formula.

Array formulas generally take more time to calculate then non-array formulas so it's best not to reference entire columns. The formula will return "" (a zero-length string, which appears like a blank cell to the eye) for any row that has no PO# in col F. This allows you to copy the formula down as far as you think your data will go in the future, while not cluttering the, as yet, unused rows with error values. In the formula below I have assumed that the data will never go beyond row 1000 (see addresses in red font)- change that to whatever you wish.

Rich (BB code):
=IF($F7="","",IF($F7<>$F8,SUM(IF($F$7:$F$1000=$F7,$R$7:$R$1000,0)),""))

Upvote 0
Here are two non-array alternatives. They would simply need to be copied down to the end of the data or as far as you think you might ever need without having to consider what the last row of the range might be within the formula itself.

=IF(F7="","",IF(F7=F8,"",SUM(R$7:R7)-SUM(S$6:S6)))
or
=IF(F7="","",IF(F7=F8,"",SUMIF(F$7:F7,F7,R$7:R7)))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sincere thanks Joe and Peter; no excuses now. I'll revert asap and confirm the outcome. I expect this will be of benefit to many Excel users - such a great forum:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back