Power Query and IF Statement based on data in specific cell

NWPhotoExplorer

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I just ran across Power Query the other day and it looks like it will do quite a bit. So I have a master file that contains all the jobs that we have. I am looking to build a separate file where people can pull these jobs and add notes but they won't be able to mess up the master file. I have this working thru a Query & Connection. It pulls all the jobs with who they are assigned too.

Now what I want to do is to be able to automatically filter the list based on 2 specific cells.

If they pick "Coax Designer" in C6, the list of people in C7 changes. If they pick "Fiber Designer" in C6, the list is different in C7. I want to use those 2 fields, C6 & C7 to filter my table as column B is where the "Coax Designer" names will be and column C is where the "Fiber Designer" names are.

How can I do this using Power Query? I see can hard code this into a specific name, but I don't want to do that. I want to make a "template" file so then we can make a copy and the drop down and the new guy will only see their jobs.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
You can build a parameter query. Here is a link with a tutorial that will get you started.

Upvote 0
Thank you @alansidman. I managed to get it to work. One thing I forgot to mention is sometimes these jobs have to be assigned to 2 different people (Dave/Bob). Is there a way to take the name in the drop (Dave Smith) and use the first name and look for that in the field? So it would grab "Dave" and see that both Dave Smith and Dave/Bob contain "Dave" and display those jobs?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back