Power Query and PowerPivot v "Normal" pivot tables

tiredofit

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Would I be correct in saying the Power Query is mainly, (possibly only), used to manipulate raw data into the desired format?

Are there any other uses of Power Query?

As for Powerpivot, my understanding is it's to create pivot tables. The difference between Powerpivot and "normal" pivot tables is Powerpivot's sources can be from other workbooks, databases, the web, etc, where a "normal" pivot tables sources must reside within its own workbook?

Other than that, what other features does Power pivot have over "normal" pivot tables?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Power Pivot allows you to do just about any calculation you can think of within the pivot table / data model.

Upvote 0
Power Pivot allows you to do just about any calculation you can think of within the pivot table / data model.
Can you give me an example of a calculation that can be done in PP but not in "normal" PTs?

Upvote 0
There are thousands of them as normal PT calculations are very limited. You can do time period calculations (eg Year to date) or sum one field divided by the count of another, etc. You can also do different calculations at different grouping levels.

Upvote 0
There are thousands of them as normal PT calculations are very limited. You can do time period calculations (eg Year to date) or sum one field divided by the count of another, etc. You can also do different calculations at different grouping levels.
Thanks

Upvote 0
More specifically you can a relational database and complex measures in dax all of which can be called using cubevalue formulas to create completely custom dashboards. It's incredibly powerful. If you'd like I could look up some of the videos that I've always found helpful to explain the basic jumping off points.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back