Power Query and PowerPivot v "Normal" pivot tables

tiredofit

Would I be correct in saying the Power Query is mainly, (possibly only), used to manipulate raw data into the desired format?

Are there any other uses of Power Query?

As for Powerpivot, my understanding is it's to create pivot tables. The difference between Powerpivot and "normal" pivot tables is Powerpivot's sources can be from other workbooks, databases, the web, etc, where a "normal" pivot tables sources must reside within its own workbook?

Other than that, what other features does Power pivot have over "normal" pivot tables?

Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Power Pivot allows you to do just about any calculation you can think of within the pivot table / data model.

tiredofit

Power Pivot allows you to do just about any calculation you can think of within the pivot table / data model.
Can you give me an example of a calculation that can be done in PP but not in "normal" PTs?

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
There are thousands of them as normal PT calculations are very limited. You can do time period calculations (eg Year to date) or sum one field divided by the count of another, etc. You can also do different calculations at different grouping levels.

tiredofit

There are thousands of them as normal PT calculations are very limited. You can do time period calculations (eg Year to date) or sum one field divided by the count of another, etc. You can also do different calculations at different grouping levels.
Thanks

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammurraybooks