Power Query - bringing new data without changing custom data

sciartilli

Having some trouble figuring out how to keep "custom data" in my table when bringing in new data: Let me explain:

-I have a report that is generated each Monday morning- It gets emailed to me & I save the file into a folder on a sharepoint site.

-I created another spread sheet that pulls from the that sharepoint folder, I customized it in power query. I also added 4 customized BLANK cells in PQ that other employees will type into.

-so here is my problem, after my employees add the info into that spreadsheet I can view the comments. But now when I get a new EMAIL file, I save it in the the Sharepoint folder, go back into my master sheet (the one my employees type comments into) REFRESH IT.... & all the custom data is gone now because it's pulling the original file that didn't have the comments.

how can I keep previous comments in the table and just add the new fresh data to the table, so my employees can add comments to the fresh data but the old data is still there.

I hope I made sense.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
are you trying to add comment in PQ table on the sheet?
Query table loaded to the sheet is the END result

Upvote 0
are you trying to add comment in PQ table on the sheet?
Query table loaded to the sheet is the END result

yes- sounds like that is what I am doing or did. I loaded the PQ into a table...then those blank cells that I added (in PQ via custom column) I have people added comments in those cells. then when the new data comes in I want them add comments to that data while keeping the data they added last week.

sounds like I am trying something that isn't possible

Upvote 0
if they can edit your table (with blank cells for comment) via PQ Editor, they can add comment by Replace Value
if not you should define comment cells in source table where they can add comments
if they add any comment to the Query Table on the sheet it will be lost after refresh.

Upvote 0
if they can edit your table (with blank cells for comment) via PQ Editor, they can add comment by Replace Value
if not you should define comment cells in source table where they can add comments
if they add any comment to the Query Table it will be lost after refresh.
not sure if my people are smart enough. trying make it as easy as possible. I just didn't think about the files over ride it.

Upvote 0
Plan before work :)
as I said: they can add comment to the source table

Upvote 0
or you can define new "Comment" table (source) which will be merged to the existing Query Table via PQ Editor, but this is still source vs query

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back