Power Query - Connection security to SQL database

tuanmaciek

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I've been looking for some information about the security of storing passwords and how should it be configured to safely connect to the SQL data source. I found information that the stored password is not encrypted
=>Microsoft text. I'm confused and don't know if connecting from Power Query to the external SQL database is secure. I can't configure the connection so that it demands the password to be provided when I want to connect. And on the other hand, the mentioned text shows that the password is not encrypted. Can anyone help me to understand the passwords and connection security Power Query - SQL database?
tuanMaciek

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
All credentials in PQ are stored on your local machine, not in the workbook. If your machine is secure, then the password is secure. It’s no different to storing a password in your browser. If you send the workbook to another person, they will not get the credentials and they will have to provide them, themselves.

Upvote 0
Solution
All credentials in PQ are stored on your local machine, not in the workbook. If your machine is secure, then the password is secure. It’s no different to storing a password in your browser. If you send the workbook to another person, they will not get the credentials and they will have to provide them, themselves.
Thanks Matt! Can I find the place where those credentials are stored?

Upvote 0
I’m not sure. They would be encrypted anyhow, so i don’t think it would do much even if you did find the location. You can clear the credentials from one of the data connection menus.

Upvote 0
hi Matt (or others), is there a Microsoft documentation for this (that passwords are not stored in the workbook but on the PC)? I'm putting together a reference for our org.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
hi Matt (or others), is there a Microsoft documentation for this (that passwords are not stored in the workbook but on the PC)? I'm putting together a reference for our org.
Thank you.
Unfortunately, I could not find anything like that. Perhaps others have.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back