Power Query - Error importing data

ExcelAtEverything

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to learn how to use Power Query, and having trouble right at the very start with importing my data. I'm currently in an Excel .xlsm workbook which i am buiding to be able to print daily stats for a business based on their daily reporting (which is also in .xlsm format). To begin, I opened a blank new sheet in my workbook, then went to Data>Get Data>From File>From Folder. Then when the fiel box appeared, I went to Desktop>YTD Reports (because that folder will house all 6 of my daily data folders which I will extract data from).

I then correctly get the window which shows the file (There will normaly be 4-6 files to be combined, however I'm just using the one for now):
Capture.PNG

However, then when I select COMBINE & TRANSFORM DATA. I receive this error even though the file is a valid Excel Doc:
1615516994909.png

What am I doing incorrectly?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Power Query - Import Error Help
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
I only posted this in another forum because I am very impatiently trying to fix the issue, and I haven't gotten a response yet on MrExcel. So I decided to register on ExcelForum and see how that forum did with my question. No offense to Mr Excel. So what do I need to do now? I feel like after this, my question will surely not be answered now.

Upvote 0
So what do I need to do now?
If you have not posted the same question anywhere else other than here and excelforum then you don't need to do anything right now as I have posted the link to that question.
In future, if you post here and then decide to post elsewhere, you should reply here to your own thread and state that you have posted in another forum(s) and provide link(s) to those other forum threads.
It is just a courtesy to other forum members and the reasons are given in the Excelguru link at the end of our rule #13. Did you look at that link?

Upvote 0
Any idea why if I try to import data into Power Query from an Excel macro-enabled xlsm file, I receive an "Unable To Connect / Input could not be recognized as a valid Excel document" error? I can also tell you that if I convert the xlsm file to an xlsx file, it works perfectly. I just need to be able to pull in the xlsm files without going through the extra time-eating file conversion process. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well this has me thoroughly stumped. I'm guessing I'll just tell the user that they need to first download the xlsm doc, then open it and resave as an xlsx doc. That's the only way I can get it to work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back