Power Query Execution Timeout (not data source or connector timeout)

akhilesh83770

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

Is there a way by which Power query can abort execution after specified duration. I would like Power query to stop executing if specified amount of time has passed. This is not in reference to command time out or web services time out which can be specified in data connection. To be more precise

I have a query which is using wait and retry method (function) and retries 25 times every 3 second to get positive results. In case its unsuccessful value returned is null instead of dataset. However even if after 25 retries there is no data set returned subsequent steps fail and a dialog box pops up in Excel notifying of error. To avoid getting error dialog box in excel I have used retry method to make sure I get positive results most of time and data table in excel is updated. Since this query will refresh again every 1-2 minute I don't mind even if at times execution is aborted in lets say 60 seconds (as good as cancelling query refresh) till the time I don't get error dialog box in Excel which requires manual intervention and "Ok" needs to be pressed.

Alternatively- my actual requirement is to not see "error Dialog box" in excel in case of query refresh error to avoid manual intervention. I am not able to suppress this dialog box by VBA also. Queries are meant to keep refreshing every 1-2 minute so I am okay even if at times refresh is cancelled in case of error in query refresh due to any reason (HTTP status codes error, internet error, file error, data error)

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back