Power Query Firewall

Paul Rockliffe

I've got an issue with the Firewall in Power Query and firstly, I'm not sure if this question should be in Excel or Power BI, but thought I'd ask here first....

I'm using Power Query in Excel to run a data import and sort out process. That all works fine. To make it user-friendly I am using a table in Excel to let the user set the location of the data import folder. Power Query loads that table, processes it and turns it into a Parameter. Then the other queries start by referring to that Parameter to set the Source import string so that it follows the user's chosen folder path.

This still works great..... for me. When I hand it over to Users to test the import process doesn't work. On opening Power Query for them they get a Firewall Error. I read up on the Firewall in power Query and understand that, but thought I was past it by turning my folder path query into a Parameter instead or a Query result.

The problem I have is that I can't separate the query into two separate queries to bring them back within the Firewall rules, because the import needs both the data to import and the parameter together.

Can anyone help with this? Either a solution, or another approach to allowing the user to control the folder path?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hello! I came across this post today. It is 2 years old, so I trust that by now you have found the answer you needed. Just in case someone else stops by this post, I am leaving a couple of tutorials that may help. I prefer the second method, but sometimes the first one is also needed.
How to make paths dynamic so that Power Query connections work on Dropbox shared files:
How to pass a dynamic file/folder path to a query:
(the link takes you to the moment I present about this.)
If you can use VBA, you can make your workbook take care of the firewall setting on open:
(use this tip presented at this moment in the video; put this code on event open for the workbook)
I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back