Power Query: How do I Move Columns to a New Table?

SuperNerd

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm using Excel 365, Power Query. I have a large fact table that I'm trying to columns to a different (new) table. I'll then join these with appropriate key columns/relationships. I've spent the entire day, tried everything I can find and nothing seems to work. Can someone explain how I move a column out of an existing table, into a new table? OR- I can create a blank table, but I still can't figure out how to move a column out of the one table into this new one...

I'd really appreciate any help I can get!
THANK YOU!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
use XL2BB to post representative example of source data and expected result

Upvote 0
Well the problem is my source table is soo big in Power Query that I can't get it to load as a table in Excel, or even load to the Data Model. So, that's why I'm trying to move columns to a number of different tables as that should really help reduce the size and increase efficiency.

Can you maybe explain the steps and/or query I need to make in order to move a single column (or, copy a column to a different table, and I can remove it from the original)?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have Power Pivot with data so you have data in Data Model
Power Pivot and/or Power Query cannot remove/delete any data from original source (same as any formula)
You can try load original data into Power Query,(no limits) split number of columns and then load new tables to the sheet(s)
However, you can choose columns from the original source only those you need

remember that
Total number of rows and columns on a worksheet 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right- so I'm pulling data in from CSV files... then taking it into PQ to manipulate, build out the model, etc. One of my files is 1.5mil rows and I need to do some stacked pivot queries on that with some other tables. The query in PQ is soo large that it takes HOURS for it to make one move... which is why I'm thinking I can move some of those columns (they can/should be grouped together anyways) to separate tables so PQ isn't pulling ALL rows/columns in on every action.

I just can't figure out how to do that. How do I take columns from one table, insert them into another table? If I can do that, I can delete them out of the original fact table and it SHOULD speed everything up a ton I would think...

Upvote 0
maybe load whole csv into the PQ Editor then make a copy using Reference (not Duplicate) and remove all those columns which are not necessary and use it as you wish
btw 1.5 million rows is not too much :biggrin:
speed depend on your transformation, maybe try another way with M
I can't say more because I don't know more

Upvote 0
ok, so I started to try that- with reference... and my plan was to delete the original columns out of the fact table once the reference was done- but doesn't that delete them in the new referenced table as well?

Upvote 0
I don't know what is your total plan, you even didn't say what you have and what you want to achieve
I can't say what you should do, just think.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back