Power Query Link for Dropbox

ebjacob1978

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello All
I recently made a bunch of excel sheets connected with each other through power query.
But since I wanted that sheets to be accessed online, I put all those files in DROPBOX folder.
It works fine on my laptop, but when I check from other devices, the link is broken and refresh doesn't work.
I am not good with VB or any coding language. I am good with Excel and but beginner in Power Query.
Please suggest a best way to fix this.
Regards
JACOB Ebanezer

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
It works fine on my laptop, but when I check from other devices, the link is broken and refresh doesn't work.

This is because links between workbooks are not relative but absolute. That's by Microsoft's design.
It means the full file path is used for these types of links. Typically these paths look like this:
Code:
C:\Users\ebjacob1978\Dropbox\WorkBook Example.xlsx

Although you can also access these files directly in the cloud, a path to such a file looks much different, something like this:
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/scx/fw/lvjkrvuf4kr3koxrqfjq13/WorkBook%20Example.xlsx?context=browse&role=personal
and in dropbox's local network a path could look like this:
Code:
\\dropbox.svr\clientse\ebh-ebk\ebjacob1978\Workbook Example.xlsx

I don't think the following will help for Android mobile devices, but for Windows machines it may be advisable to move the local dropbox folder in such a way that it has the exact same path on every machine, so user profile independent, for example:
Code:
C:\Shared\DropBox

So don't work directly in the cloud but with your local files within dropbox's folder. After synchronization you also have the most current versions on other devices.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I changed the dropbox location to D drive
and changed in all other computers...
It worked... Thanks!!

But, how about if these excel files are located in various locations, instead of dropbox?

I understand that, I should make a set-up sheet with a table showing the path and folder name in each excel files, which looks like below.
Parameter is just for my understanding, Value is the location and exact name of excel files.

1636343212345.png

From here onwards, I don't know how to link them with power query, so that power query reads this link to connect.
Please let me know if you can help me on this...

Thanks once again
JACOB

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
As you will have understood by now, your issue was not PQ specific. Although I am not very familiar with PQ I was extremely sure of the cause of your problem, that's why I replied.
Regarding your additional query hopefully another forum member is able to step in. Meanwhile this video may be of some interest ...

Upvote 0
In addition to my previous post, I would like to point out a DropBox issue from another forum member, which he found a solution for elsewhere on the net.
Not sure if this information is of any use to you. Just to let you know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recon11bucks

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back