Power Query Merge or Append?

PraRan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm trying to combine 2 reports with inconsistent columns and column names into a single report. Is this possible in Power Query.
For example report 1 has the following columns

Fiscal QtrFiscal WkBUSegmentRep SegAllocTerritoryPFAMProduct LineMaterial KeyCustomerCustomer #SizeSize KeyInventory UnitInventory VolInventory $

And report 2 has the following columns

Fiscal QtrFiscal WkBus GroupSegmentSegment NameAllocRegionGroupMappingPFAMProduct LineMaterialCustomer NameSizeMem Tech Hybrid Name

I want the merged report to have both unique columns from both reports and include all rows from both reports.

Is this possible with Power Query.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I watched some videos, but those were only to append when columns were consistent or used the merge function in place of vlookup

Upvote 0
sure, could you post an example of expected result based on your post#1 ?

Upvote 0
I haven't actually tried it. What I saw in those videos is that merge adds a column and append adds rows.
While in merge you can do a full outer join to include and display all columns. But this method will create new columns for rows that cannot be found in the primary source.
Which helps in identifying rows that are not present in the primary source. As a result more operations need to be performed to cleanse the data and make it more compact to make columns more aligned so they don't appear 2X
I'm waiting for my team member to give me the file and start experimenting with it. I'll keep you posted on it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back