Power Query - Merging Tables only shows first table data

jaspalsd

Board Regular
Hi,

I have searched online tutorials and I am stumped as to why I can't merge two tables in Power query.

I have therefore created a very simple example

ANIMALCOUNTID
DOG
1​
2​
CAT
5​
1​

ANIMALCOUNTID
CAT
6​
1​
MONKEY
3​
4​

If I do the the follow I will get these results:
Get Data > Combine queries > Merge > Table 1 (Select ID) and Table 2 (Select ID) > Full Outer Join

=Table.NestedJoin(Table1, {"ID"}, Table2, {"ID"}, "Table2", JoinKind.FullOuter)

ANIMALCOUNTIDTable2
CAT51

nullnullnull

DOG12

Can anyone please advise why joining on the Unique Identifier and performing a full outer join is returning the results above.

Thanks,

Jas

so to give further clarity, I was provided with 2 extracts but in different month ranges so I had to insert months with no data and have these with a sum of 0

Extract 1: Mar20 to Oct21
Extract 2: Nov21 to Jan23

For below, lets say Extract 1: Mar-20
Extract 2: Apr-20

So I added in the missing months in both extracts so that the columns were consistent

I then appended. If I pivot then the months will need to be added in manually and also they show in alphabetical order and it'll then have a heading SUM Apr-20.

On your point of grouping, I can see that option, so I can group by Agreement and Schedule (an agreement may have more than 1 schedule) but my concern is what I want to sum is 154 months...

AgreementScheduleProduct CodeCustomerIntroducerCHANNELAsset Type DescriptionAsset DescriptionStart DateEnd DateVariable DealMar-20Apr-20
ABC11dummydummydummydummydummydummy
06-Sep-18​
06-Sep-21​
dummy
50​
0.00​

AgreementScheduleProduct CodeCustomerIntroducerCHANNELAsset Type DescriptionAsset DescriptionStart DateEnd DateVariable DealMar-20Apr-20
ABC11dummydummydummydummydummydummy
06-Sep-18​
06-Sep-21​
dummy
0.00​
50.00​

The above examples are two csv extracts and never pivoted.

End goal, one line to look like this but I'll be having months from Mar-20 to Jan-23
ABC11dummydummydummydummydummydummy06-Sep-1806-Sep-21dummy5050

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Then as I said earlier, I would probably unpivot the months fields in each source query, append the two queries, then repivot, summing the value fields for each month.

Upvote 0
You must make sure that your source tables are set up properly. That is, numbers are numbers and not text - which is why it's best to not format data in tables - numbers automatically justify right, and text automatically justify left. If the first table's CAT ID is "1" or '1 instead of 1, the merge of the two tables (assuming all the IDs in the 2nd table are numbers) is this:
Book1
IJKLMN
1ANIMALCOUNTIDTable2.ANIMALTable2.COUNTTable2.ID
2DOG12
3CAT51
Sheet1

Simply correcting the CAT ID to be the NUMBER 1 instead of "1" results in this Merge:
Book1
IJKLMN
1ANIMALCOUNTIDTable2.ANIMALTable2.COUNTTable2.ID
2CAT51CAT61
3DOG12
Sheet1

I purposely allowed the second table's name to preface the table's column name for clarity.
I would have posted the source tables using XL2BB, but unfortunately it doesn't preserve the justification I was trying to show. This is what the first merger's tables look like:
1678445525983.png

The table in columns A-C is Table1, the other is Table2. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Then as I said earlier, I would probably unpivot the months fields in each source query, append the two queries, then repivot, summing the value fields for each month.
Thanks, it worked but for one annoying thing.

Dates were in alphabetical order, e.g. I formatted dates in custom formatting for example, 01/04/20, 01/04/21 as APR-20, APR-21 so it is seen as text when I apply data within the initial table, So I didn't apply custom data to the table data but now it will appear in order as:

01/01/2020, 01/01/2021.......01/02/2020, 01/02/2021 and so on

I'm from the UK so my dates are defaulted like this. Any advice for resolving this last issue? :)

Upvote 0
How are you actually outputting the data - as a table or using pivot tables?

Upvote 0
How are you actually outputting the data - as a table or using pivot tables?
So initially I select the range of csv data and apply "From Table/Range" >and then it'll open up the Power Query editor for which I then create a connection.

However, the final output will be a pivot table.

Upvote 0
If the final output is a pivot table, then I wouldn't pivot in PQ as the final step. If you make the date field into a column header in the pivot, you can sort it there and format the cells however you like.

Upvote 0
I resolved the date issue by changing the data type on the Power query editor .

For the larger datasets I have approached this with Append (pivots take too long to return data). So all was well but I noticed that if I have an Example Reference 'ABC123' with a value of 14.45 in one of the tables but it is not in the second table, then the total sum of the reference will be rounded down to 14. I can see this within the Append view under the Query editor. The decimals will work where the references appears in both tables.

So the issue occurs when appending the data so changing the data type to decimal won't make a difference.

Is there a way to get round this?

Upvote 0
I resolved the date issue by changing the data type on the Power query editor .

For the larger datasets I have approached this with Append (pivots take too long to return data). So all was well but I noticed that if I have an Example Reference 'ABC123' with a value of 14.45 in one of the tables but it is not in the second table, then the total sum of the reference will be rounded down to 14. I can see this within the Append view under the Query editor. The decimals will work where the references appears in both tables.

So the issue occurs when appending the data so changing the data type to decimal won't make a difference.

Is there a way to get round this?
ignore me, figured out my mistake

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back