Power Query removes hidden decimals

deLockloire

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'd like to load in two columns of inflation data from this source: https://statisztika.mnb.hu/timeseries/hu0201_fogyarindex.xls
The exact range I'd like to get is 'éves átlagos'!A39:B68. Column B contains decimal numbers with up to 12 decimal places, but the table is set to display only 1 decimal place. Now whatever I do, Power Query in excel only loads in that 1 decimal place. If I change the data type to decimal, then all the numbers give me an error. If I keep them az text, I only get 1 decimal. The column contains a variety of data types, so Power Query recognizes it as text by default. How can I get the full number? What am I doing wrong?

Also, how can I load this data to continue another table that has inflation data for years before the starting year of this particular table?

Thanks for any tips!
deL

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Download the file, save as .xlsx.
Do your PQ stuff.
1677939102243.png

The issue is the excel format .xls. PQ seems to read the data as displayed, not as stored, whereas with .xlsx that's not the case.

Upvote 0
It's a good tip. However, the point is to automate this without having to manually do anything. By downloading and resaving, I might as well just copy paste the info. Any other tip? Of course, if this is a known limitation of PQ, then it is also good to know not to waste any more time on this. :) In any case, thank you for your answer!

Upvote 0
Changing the format to general while keeping the .xls format and the decimals do show up.
Saying this is a limitation of Power Query is perhaps debatable. I believe the same happens with an .xlsb-format.
1678011695647.png

Upvote 0
So mine is set to text by default. How do I change it to general? I don't see that option.

Upvote 0
You need do this in the excel file not in PQ.
So it's not an effective solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back