PowerPivot - Constant errors on Excel 2010

yessuz

Hi guys. I am quite new to PowerPivots and wish to learn about it a bit more, but face few constant issues and hope you can help with that.

So basically I have Windows 7 64 bit + MS Office 2010 Standard 32 bit
I have installed PowerPivot for excel 2010 (x86 - so 32 bit version, as my excel)

It launches and works quite well.
Now - I am trying to do some stuff, and get few errors. I import data from external excel file (.xlsx) and Excel is set to default save to xlsx.. file I import has 20-30 columns and more than 5000 lines. it has some of the cells empty. But there are no completely empty lines/colums.

It imports well and displays as it should be.

1) When i try to create pivot chart i get this error:
Code:
The Command was canceled. Please press F1 to get the help topic "Excel Window: Power Pivot Field List" for more details.

============================
Error Message:

Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

Call Stack:

Server stack trace: 

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Shapes.AddChart(Object XlChartType, Object Left, Object Top, Object Width, Object Height)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiRibbon.CreateChart(PivotCache cache, Worksheet workSheet, Int32 rowIndex, Int32 colIndex, Object pivotVersion, SASlicerHost slicerHost)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiRibbon.InsertPivot(String sandboxConnectionString, String location, String cubeName, MultiObjectsReportType reportType)

However, if I create Pivot table with slices from the same data - everything is alright.
It creates new sheet, table, I can use it as it should be (with the slices etc.). I can even create pivot tables and then create Normal Chart from the pivot table.,.. but again - I cannot create pivot chart instantly. i have to use that workaround.
Found 4 solutions on the internet (adding calculation columns and deleting, default saving as xls, vertipaq folders (which I do not have) - nothing worked :/ I am behind proxy, by the way...

Any solution?

2) I try to import data from similar file (xlsx) which has 7 sheets.

5 sheets - each represent different product group, has more or less same data structure:
column 1 = name of customer
Column 2 = what type of customer
Column 3 = what customer is spending
Column 4 - Country
etc. up to 45 various columns
the number of columns varies a bit (+/-2 columns), depending for the product (so sheet 1 might have 1 column more than sheet 2)
Each sheet has more or less same customer names. Basically, it is split the way, that Customer, buys product A (and data is in Sheet 1) and Product B (Sheet 2) etc.

other sheets they have same customer names, but their structure is a bit different, but basically - all 7 sheets have few things in common - customer name, country, year, product type, etc.

it has some empty cells (cells with 0 as well). But there are no completely empty lines/colums.

I am loading data from this file to PowerPivot - it loads all the sheets and I see them in my PowerPivot sheet names. Everything is alright. All data is there, it is correct.
But when i try to create some relationships in tables (i.e. I would liek to have a relationship - customer name in all tables) I get error:
Code:
The relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values. Select at least one column that contains only unique values.

Error Message:

The relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values. Select at least one column that contains only unique values.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Controls.RelationshipController.formCreateRelationshipDialog_Confirming(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.Controls.CreateRelationshipDialog.buttonOK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

What am I missing here? How to solve it? is it even possible to have some sort of supermegapowerpivot which would connect data from 7 different sheets (ok - at least from 3) and let me have various cuts, slices and other data analysis magic?

thank you for any help!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hello- Did you get any help with your Question #2 ? I am new and learning and stumped there also?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
The errors look a bit weird (in that I wouldn't expect a stack trace for Error #2... it's a pretty normal error). The old question sorta looks like a bad install.

The error here is correct and somewhat self-explanatory. Power Pivot relationships are always 1 to many. The one side... must have UNIQUE values. No duplicates. You have some.

Upvote 0
Sorry I am just having a brain disconnect with this. I need it explained like a 3rd grader. If I added a column to each excel spread sheet i want to relate with say 1a 2a 3a...for each row, then in the next spreadsheet 1bb, 2bb 3bb and in the 3rd 1cc, 2cc, 3cc etc these would all be unigue to that spreadsheet. Would i then be able to relate the spreadsheets?

Again. I do not know why this is so hard for me to "get" but it is! :)

Upvote 0
Let's look at an easier to explain example. Sales data. Say, you have a Sales table with Date,CustomerId,ProductId,Quantity

This is a typical "Fact" table or "Data" table. You hope to have million of these rows. On any given day (say May 27, 2015) you hope to have LOTS of rows w/ that date. And you hope to sell the same product MANY times.

But if you also have a Customers table, each CustomerId should be in there exactly 1 time. Each ProductId should be in your Product table, exactly 1 time. You will have relationships from the fact (sales) table to each of these "Lookup" (or "Dimension") tables. The relationship will have a MANY side (the Sales) and a ONE side (the CustomerId row, or the ProductId row ... in their respective tables). The relationship is MANY to ONE.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
I think so. I will check the files I am trying to relate for duplicate sku or product id's. Thanks, I use Pivot tables ALL the time, so I want this to work. I appreciate you time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farhansadik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back