PowerPivot COUNTIFS question

Reshaw

Board Regular
Firstly I have read several other posts on here that appear to answer very similar questions to the one i'm about to pose, but I am absolutely brand new to PowerPivots and the data manager model. I am very familiar with excel but have approximately 3 hours experience with power pivots.

What I am trying to do is fairly simple but I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong, the various you tube videos seem to suggest this is really easy too...

The task: I have a list of locations in a warehouse in one table and a second table containing records of when an inventory check has been done.

There are literally 10's of thousands of locations so I summarise them by Aisle Description, either loa_id or left(loc_id, 2) achieves the same thing (this is the location table below):

whs_idloa_idloa_descriptionlct_idloc_id
MainAAAisle AABulkAA01A
MainAAAisle AABulkAA01B
MainAAAisle AABulkAA01C
MainAAAisle AABulkAA01D
MainAAAisle AABulkAA01E
MainAAAisle AABulkAA01F
MainAAAisle AABulkAA02A
MainAAAisle AABulkAA02B
MainAAAisle AABulkAA02C
MainAAAisle AABulkAA02D
MainAAAisle AABulkAA02E
MainAAAisle AABulkAA02F

In the inventory check table, it only has the individual location but i can calculate the aisle description using the left(loc_id, 2) again.
I then count the various outcomes of the inventory checks in the pivot table and i need to calculate a % complete figure.

[Total Checks in that aisle] divided by [total locations in the aisle]

Below is a paste of the pivot table I have so far (first few rows for brevity)
Count of pih_idStatus
loa_idBad LabelCancelledMatchedMissing / EmptyNo LabelNot countedOverShortGrand Total
AA302128513734353008
AB69164615121688
BA1516234713161122420
BB104171518181765

I want to add a calculated field that goes to the locations table and counts how many rows it finds for a given aisle description. so say a given aisle has 500 location sin it, i want to divide the grand total on the pivot above by the total locations.

I have tried without success to use the countrows function both as a calculated field in the data manager and as a measure at the bottom, not made either work thus far, this was the calculated column attempt which does not work:
Rich (BB code):
=calculate(countrows(rlv_STOCK_Location_list[loa_id]), rlv_ITPL_PerpetualInventory_Detail[Aisle_Desc]) )

I have also tried this:
Rich (BB code):
=countx(rlv_STOCK_Location_list, rlv_ITPL_PerpetualInventory_Detail[Aisle_Desc])
which counts all the locations and doesn't match on the Aisle description and then crashes the spreadsheet!

Please help this old dog learn a new trick!

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
You may want a measure rather than a calculated column for greater flexibility.

You don't provide the structure of the inventory table so it's hard to know exactly how the two tables relate. I assume there is some way for the inventory table to show the warehouse and aisle, not just the location, since you need to differentiate between aisle 5 and bin 3 in one warehouse vs. another. Another question is product - would aisle 5/bin 3 in one warehouse have the same widget as that location in another? (I assume not, but it depends how your WMS functions.)

So first I would suggest creating a primary/foreign key relationship to relate the location file to the inventory file. Are you just interested at what happens at the aisle level and not the bin level? Are each of the "checks" performed the values in the 2nd row of your result (Bad Label, Cancelled, Match etc)? I think we need to see the structure of your inventory table - are those columns in the table, or values of a single "Check" column?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back