PowerPivot Error when copying data

ytseltejam

Hi,

I am using PowerPivot version 11.0.3000.0 32-bit, on Excel 2010 32-bit, with windows 7 64-bit enterprise edition.

I am in the process of copying data from another excel file to the powerpivot table. I have copied over 350,000 rows of data, usually in chunks of 20,000-30,000 rows at a time. Now, I am unable to copy over a single row. I am doing the following when copying the data:
1. Selecting the range of cells from a different workbook
2. Selecting "Paste Append" from the home tab in the powerpivot view
3. When the Paste Preview window appears, I select "OK" (the "Exclude first row of copied data field is left unchecked)
4. The computer thinks for a few seconds, then in the bottom right corner of the powerpivot window, a message says that it is "Appending data... (Press ESC to cancel)". This message then changes to "Cancelling..."
5. A window appears that says "PowerPivot for Excel" in the title bar. In the message window, a red X with the message "Pasting data failed"
6. When I select the Details button, the error message at the bottom appears.

I have done the following to fix (some fixes were temporary)
1. Close out of all instances of excel, and try again - This worked once or twice, when this stopped working, I moved to # 2
2. Reboot - This worked the first 3-4 times. Would work fine after a reboot. When this stopped working, I moved to # 3
3. Uninstalled powerpivot, reboot, reinstall, reboot. Did not fix.

I receive the error if I try and copy 10,000 rows or 1 row.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

============================
Error Message:

Error Code = 0xC1000012, External Code = 0x00000000, Note:
----------------------------
The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.
An error occurred during pipeline processing.
Pasting data failed.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteRawCaptureLogInBackground(OperationType type, Boolean cancellable, Boolean raiseEvents)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteCaptureLogAndProcessResults(OperationType type, Boolean cancellable, Boolean raw, Boolean raiseEvents)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteCustomBuiltXmla(OperationType type, OperationCancellability cancellable, XmlWriterCode code, Boolean raiseEvents)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.PushedDataTable.EndPushingData(String sessionId, Dimension dimension, PushedDataInfo pushedDataInfo)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.PushedDataTable.PushData(String sessionId, Dimension dimension, PushedDataSource pushedDataSource, PushedDataInfo pushedDataInfo, Dictionary`2 columnOrderMap)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.PushedDataTable.PasteAppendReplaceTable(DataModelingTable table, String htmlContent, Boolean useExcelFormat, Boolean firstRowAsHeaders, Dictionary`2 columnOrderMap, PushedDataInfo pushedDataInfo)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.PushedDataTable.PasteAppendReplaceTable(DataModelingTable table, String htmlContent, Boolean useExcelFormat, Boolean firstRowAsHeaders, Dictionary`2 columnOrderMap, PushedDataInfo pushedDataInfo)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.PushedDataTable.PasteAppendTable(DataModelingTable table, String htmlContent, Boolean useExcelFormat, Boolean firstRowAsHeaders, Dictionary`2 columnOrderMap)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.PasteAppendTable(DataModelingTable table, String htmlContent, Boolean useExcelFormat, Boolean firstRowAsHeaders, Dictionary`2 columnOrderMap)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.PasteTable(String htmlContent, Boolean useExcelFormat, Boolean firstRowAsHeaders, Dictionary`2 columnOrderMap, DataModelingTable table)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.PasteAppendClipboardData(String htmlContent, Boolean useExcelFormat)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I would be concerned that you were just going beyond what 32-bit was happy with. Any chance you can try 64 bit excel?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply scottsen!

I have been thinking the same thing. I am working on being on the test group for Office 2013 in my building, hoping to get upgraded to 64-bit at the same time. For now, it is a waiting game.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Why are you doing a copy/paste from excel vs importing DIRECTLY from the xlsx (or a csv of it) ?

Upvote 0
I am still new to powerpivot, from what I have experienced, you cannot append data to the powerpivot table if your import comes from an xlsx,txt, or csv file. Is that correct? I will be appending new data each week to this table. If I am missing something, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
No, you are correct. PowerPivot only supports a "full refresh", so you would have to append to the xlsx/txt/csv, then refresh that complete file in power pivot.

If you have csv files (and deal w/ duplicate header rows) you could do (from the cmdline)
copy jan.csv+feb.csv+newstuff.csv final.csv

The other option would be Power Query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back