PowerPivot | Link two columns with similar values across two different data pulls

dfulmer90

I have two external data pulls currently coming into PowerPivot, one looks at actual hours and the other at forecasted hours. The two pulls are not identical, however they both include many of the same fields, including things like Project Name. I have it linked so I can pull several of the fields in (Project Type, Resource Type, etc.) and see both actual and backlog hours correctly. However, now I'm trying to pull in the Project Name fields. My first thought would be to have one table with each unique project listed and then relate the two pulls to this table, however there are WAY too many projects and they are constantly being added. If I was to take this route, I'd need to figure out how to make the link table constantly update a list of unique projects from both pulls together. I'm not even sure if this would work, but it's all I have to go on right now

Does anyone know of a way to do this or have any other suggestions? I wish I could share my file, but it contains too much confidential information.

Let me know if there's any more info I can provide to make this more clear.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Any chance your data sources are text files? Can you make them both text files? If so then you can use a single connection to access them both via SQL - which allows you to join the tables or append the tables with "Union All". I detailed the approach here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back