Powerpivot Lookup

amotto11

Hi All,

I am basically trying to do a simple vlookup in PowerPivot. I am aware that powerpivot relationships act like a vlookup, but i am not trying to put my data into a pivot table, i am trying to keep everything in the PowerPivot table. here is an example of what i am trying to accomplish:

Table 1

Column 1 Column 2
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
F 6

Table 2

Column 1
A
B
C
G
H
Z

I would like to create an if(isna(vlookup)),0,1) statement in column 3 of Table 1. in excel the statement would be =if(isna(vlookup(Table1A in column1,1,False)),1,0). this would put a 1 in column 3 if A was found in column 1 of table 2, if it was not found it would put a zero. This way i could filter by the 1's in column three and get only that data(which i need). I cannot do this because like i said i have over 9 million rows which excel cannot handle. can anyone help me on this problem. Again i cannot create a pivot table like this and compare the information because it too would be over 2 million rows. that is why i need to be able to just filter the powerpivot table and grab the information that i need. I believe the formula i need is to create a relationship between the two column 1's and put in column three of table one, =if(related(column 1 in table 2)=cellA1 in table 1,1,0) although this formula is having some problems.

Any help would be greatly appretiated,

Thanks

Last edited:
Rob, when I initially tried ISBLANK it returned FALSE even for rows with no match in Table2. Any explanation for that?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
sorry for the post, meant to post elsewhere, can't figure out why it posted here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To clarify:
=ISBLANK(RELATED(Table2[Column1])) returns FALSE for every row

But if you do it in two calculated columns then it works.
So if you first create RELATED_VAL:=RELATED(Table2[Column1]) and then create TryISBLANK:=ISBLANK([RELATED_VAL]) the it'll return TRUE for rows in which RELATED_VAL is BLANK.

Upvote 0
if the format of my data was numbers instead of text my first equation =if(related(table2[column1])=table1[A1],1,0) would work. if my data was in text as it is in my example ruve1k's formula worked. My data is in whole numbers but when i changed the format to text and used ruve1k's formula, as i stated i obtained my original number of 1's and 0's. therefore my original equation will work for whole numbers while ruvek1's formula will work for text.
amotto11,
If you're working with numbers then just use ISNUMBER instead of ISTEXT.

Upvote 0
I believe that the formula ruve1k gave me worked. the number of one's that i obtained in the final outcome was the same number that i had originally obtained from my suggested formula that i was not sure worked or not. That seems to tell me that my first equation along with this one was correct. if the format of my data was numbers instead of text my first equation =if(related(table2[column1])=table1[A1],1,0) would work. if my data was in text as it is in my example ruve1k's formula worked. My data is in whole numbers but when i changed the format to text and used ruve1k's formula, as i stated i obtained my original number of 1's and 0's. therefore my original equation will work for whole numbers while ruvek1's formula will work for text. Thank you all very much for your help!

Upvote 0
I believe that ruvek1's formula worked. the number of one's that i obtained in the final outcome was the same number that i had originally obtained form the formula i wasn't sure was working in my original post. That seems to tell me that my first equation along with this one was correct. if the format of my data was numbers instead of text my first equation =if(related(table2[column1])=table1[A1],1,0) would work. if my data was in text as it is in my example ruve1k's formula worked. My data is in whole numbers but when i changed the format to text and used ruve1k's formula, as i stated i obtained my original number of 1's and 0's. therefore my original equation will work for whole numbers while ruvek1's formula will work for text. Thank you all very much for your help!

Upvote 0
To follow up on this item, it seems that there was in fact a bug in PowerPivot regarding how ISBLANK(RELATED(Table2[Column1])) returns FALSE even for a missing value (referential integrity violation).
To quote from the latest comments by Microsoft:
Scenario 3 (the workbook that you sent us):
The workbook that you provided contains various calculated column expressions as follows:
ISBLANK_RELATED:=ISBLANK(RELATED(Table2[Column1]))
RELATED_VAL:=RELATED(Table2[Column1])
ISBLANK:=ISBLANK([RELATED_VAL])

In this case ISBLANK(RELATED(Table2[Column1])) returns FALSE for RI (referential integrity) violations, while ISBLANK([RELATED_VAL]) returns TRUE for RI violations. The former is indeed a bug in our product. The good news is that we have fixed this bug in current builds, and the next TAP/Beta release will have that fix.
https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/725090/when-isblank-not-blank

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back