PowerPivot Query - Not sure the problem

karlitob

Hi all,

Appreciate any advice that you can offer.

So
- cleaned a very large data set on my desktop
- opened a new workbook on my desktop to create a dashboard and 'loaded to' the data from the database and connected it to the new workbook
- I created a few pivot charts with slicers on the new workbook (i.e. dashboard)

- Delighted with myself that I used PowerPivot. The database is 18MB and the new workbook is 1MB. So far so good.

However, when I put both files onto the shared drive at work so colleagues can play around on the dashboard, they're not able to open it - they get the below message. I've checked their data connections (they're on excel 2010 - it looks the same as mine. I've deleted and copied over both files again. Still get the below.

Could someone kindly advise. Thank you.

'Initialization of the data source failed

Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database"

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Without more detail it looks as if the move of data has broken the 'source' for the pivottable. This isn't an answer, but should give you somewhere to look.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that.
I checked the connections - both ends. No issue. Also asked another colleague did it work for him and it did.
I’ve since found something that said that if you don’t have PowerPivot then you won’t be able to interact with the dashboard (my colleague with it, can; and the one without can’t). Something about slicers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back