PowerQuery (in Excel) moved into PowerBI

tazeo

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook in which a series of queries are written, each of them performing different tasks using the data from a separate workbook.

After researching various YouTube videos and threads from this forum and others, it has become apparent that using PowerBI will result in improved outputs.

I have seen a lot of information suggesting that I can use Excel created queries in PowerBI, yet none of the examples that I have attempted to follow have functioned correctly.

Are there any instructions anyone could give me, or point me in the right direction for finding them?
OR
Should I start over from the beginning in PowerBI?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
If by saying using PowerBI will result in improved outputs you mean more complex and interactive elements that can be published and used by anyone with access to the server on any device, you're correct. However, unless you have access to a Power BI server, your options are limited to creating a presentation in Power BI Desktop and distributing or sharing that file and possibly all its subsidiary data sources. It should be noted that Excel Online is starting to acquire Power Query, and you might be better off using it if you're sharing your work without access to a Power BI server. If you don't have access to a Power BI Server and aren't using the licensed version of Power BI, unfortunately it doesn't show up in the online office.com apps.

That said, although there is a way to export Excel Power Query queries that can then be shared with others, Power BI cannot import those files (which I don't understand!). In Excel they are saved to the My Data Sources folder by default whose location may vary depending on whether or not you use One Drive.

Importing the Excel file doesn't help either. The Queries themselves don't come in.

Your only option is to open the query in the Advanced Editor, copy the code for the entire query and paste it into a text file, and then open a blank query in Power BI and paste the code into the Advanced Editor there.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks, sort of what I thought. I will try your solution.
For clarity, my thinking was the report/dashboard creation was going to be easier/better/streamlined (any similar words) using PowerBI. I do have access to server but am working my way up to that ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back