Pragmatically putting VLOOKUP in Formula does not work

DragonSoft

(Note: I'm not allowed to install XL2BB on a company computer so pics will have to do)

Using the below code to put VLOOKUP in two columns (I & J) has stopped working. The formula IS put in each cell but the results is always #N/A even after verifying the look up value is in the table.
I am ONLY interested it the rows that have 936 in Column B (Dept.Resp)

VBA Code:
Private Sub Auto_Open()

'Call Show_Screens(False)
    Last_Row = 3 'skip the header rows
    Set This_WorkSheet = Workbooks(ActiveWorkbook.Name).Worksheets("Data")      ' Data Sheet
    Last_Row = This_WorkSheet.Cells(This_WorkSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(0).Row

Sheets("Data").Select                                   ' Select and Display the Data Sheet
    Range("A2").Select                                      ' Select the Active Cell
    MyRange = "A3:J" & Last_Row                             ' Set our Sort Range

Range(MyRange).Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Sort.SortFields.Add(Range("G3:G" & Last_Row), _
        xlSortOnCellColor, xlAscending, , xlSortNormal).SortOnValue.Color = RGB(255, 0 _
        , 0)
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("G3:G" & Last_Row), _
        SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Data").Sort
        .SetRange Range("A2:J" & Last_Row)
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    For N = 3 To Last_Row
        Worksheets("Data").Range("I" & N).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(C" & N & ", Inspectors!A3:F115,2,)"
        '=VLOOKUP(A2,Inspectors!A3:F115,2,)
        Worksheets("Data").Range("J" & N).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(C" & N & ", Inspectors!A3:F115,6,)"
    Next N
    Sheets("Data").Select                                   ' Select and Display the NDT Sheet
    Range("A3").Select                                      ' Select the Active Cell
End Sub

Data Tab and Inspector Tab pictures attached

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
It looks like in one sheet the column might be numerical and in the other the column might be "numbers stored as text"

What happens if you make changes like this?

Rich (BB code):
Worksheets("Data").Range("I" & N).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(C" & N & ", Inspectors!A3:F115,2,)"
Worksheets("Data").Range("I" & N).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(C" & N & "+0, Inspectors!A3:F115,2,)"

Upvote 0
It looks like in one sheet the column might be numerical and in the other the column might be "numbers stored as text"

What happens if you make changes like this?

Rich (BB code):
Worksheets("Data").Range("I" & N).Formula = "=VLOOKUP(C" & N & "+0, Inspectors!A3:F115,2,)"
Perfect! That fixed it! Thanks or your help. Now I just need to put it in an IF statement (boss does not like seeing the #N/A's.

Upvote 0
I would use the IFNA function rather than IF.

eg
VBA Code:
Worksheets("Data").Range("I" & N).Formula = "=IFNA(VLOOKUP(C" & N & "+0, Inspectors!A3:F115,2,),"""")"

Upvote 0
I would use the IFNA function rather than IF.

eg
VBA Code:
Worksheets("Data").Range("I" & N).Formula = "=IFNA(VLOOKUP(C" & N & "+0, Inspectors!A3:F115,2,),"""")"
Thanks that works great. I had just nested the vlookup in a IF("B" & N = 936) ... But I'm always interested in learning new functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amjad24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back