Precedent sheets

PATSYS

I have a sheet that takes values from several other sheets in the same workbook.

Is there an easy way for me to know whch specific sheets are being linked to my sheet.

The reason for this requirement is that I am deleting several sheets in the workbook except those that has something to do with one of the sheets.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
One way to do this by hand is to use the Show Precedents button on the Formula Auditing toolbar. Hopefully, how to use the result will be self-evident since explaining it in text-only mode is particularly challenging.

Upvote 0
One way to do this by hand is to use the Show Precedents button on the Formula Auditing toolbar. Hopefully, how to use the result will be self-evident since explaining it in text-only mode is particularly challenging.

Hi Tushar,

Not sure I understand. The trace precedent in TOOLS-FORMULA AUDITING is per cell. I was thinking perhaps there is a way that I can view all the precendent sheets that affects a certain sheet. Going cell by cell using the precedent button will mean I go through several thousands cells.

Well anyway just in case you can think of something, I'd very much appreciate to hear.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Ah, well. You have a major task on your hands. Using code to build a precedent list when the precedents are on another sheet/book is non-trivial (and I suspect no solution will be truly robust).

I don't know if anyone has written a solution that is available on the 'Net. I've been working off-and-on on one for a while now. From my testing it appears to work but I still have to add the UI needed for others to use it.

Edit: There must be a logical basis on which you create links to other sheets/books. Instead of trying to find the links working from the cells, why not work "top down," as it were? If you know the basis for the links, you should be able to figure out what sheets/books the links point to.

Also, if your links are to other workbooks (and not just sheets in the same book), check out Bill Manville's FindLink utility. It's hosted by Stephen Bullen at www.oaltd.co.uk It may (or may not) provide you with what you want.

Upvote 0
The thing is that I did not build this workbook/worksheet that I am working on. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back