Preserve pivot table formatting after refresh

sharshra

Office Version
  1. 365
I lose the conditional formatting whenever pivot table is refreshed, though I have checked in the option 'Preserve cell formatting on update'. It is very annoying that I have to format after every refresh. Does anyone know what would have gone wrong & how to fix this?
1638410099131.png

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
When you are applying the conditional formatting you will get some options that relate specifically to pivot tables. You need to set these.

You will find the full set of instructions here on the Contextures site:-
Add Pivot Table Conditional Formatting and Fix Problems

You are looking for a box that looks like the below and you most likely want the 3rd option as highlighted (extracted from the above site)

1638431394592.png

Upvote 0
Thanks, Alex. But, I don't see those options. Screenshot of what I see if shown below. Am I missing anything due to which I don't see those options?
1638586773093.png

Upvote 0
You might want to update your profile and show what version of Excel you are using.
Are you using Standard Pivot or Power Pivot (mind you both should work the same) ?

Do you have D2 selected and is D2 in the pivot table when you go into Conditional formatting ?
Before the screen in your picture do you see something like the image below and did you select one of the Pivot Table options in the drop down box ?

1638609066846.png

Upvote 0
Thanks, Alex. I'm using Office 365 & updated the same in my profile.

Answering your other questions -
- Yes, I'm using standard pivot.
- I selected the cells in the pivot table & then clicked on conditional formatting. Then I selected 'This PivotTable' option from the dropdown.
1638618249587.png

Upvote 0
When you edit the rule, what appears in the Applies to column ?
Then show me what columns & rows the pivot table covers. The applies to range should be in the pivot table.

Upvote 0
Screenshots are pasted below. Table below is replaced with dummy values since I can't paste the actual pivot table due to confidential data. Applies to range is correct & I see it working correctly before refreshing. When refreshed, the conditional formatting is lost.
Status#%
aaa38843.4%
bbb12514.0%
ccc10411.6%
In Prod9410.5%
eee717.9%
fff596.6%
ggg465.1%
hhh70.8%
Grand Total894100%

1638667251603.png

1638667677654.png

Upvote 0
The way it looks to me is that if you want to apply the Conditional Formatting (CF) to columns that include the Row Label columns you won't get the pivot table options.
If you apply the Conditional Formatting to a single Data Column, you will get the Pivot Table Options which allows the formatting to stick.
Sorry I know this was not the answer you were hoping for.

If I try to change the CF that is on a Pivot Table Data column back to all 3 columns (ie include the Row / Label column eg L-N) I get the error message below.

1638688133839.png

Upvote 0
No problems, Alex. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Yes, I can apply CF on single column but it fails for multiple columns when refreshed, even after selecting preserve formatting after update option.

I'm not sure why I don't see the apply rule window :unsure:. Hence, I don't get that error message as well ;)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that is consistent with what I am finding.
In case its an option for you, a possible alternative might be to create the summary table in Power Query. If you leave the output as just a table conditional formatting should work fine on it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back