Pressing enter copies in new formula before moving selection down

Mister Metzger

Hello,

Randomly this morning, my excel has decided that sometimes when I press enter (on a cell that is selected, but not clicked into for editing) it will copy in a formula to the selected cell before moving the selection down to the next cell (as opposed to just moving the selection). It seems like the formula copied in is that of the last cell I edited (but I'm not sure). Haven't knowingly changed any settings. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kind regards,

Mister Metzger

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
What's being pasted are the last cell(s) I copied. So, I'll copy a cell, paste its contents to another cell, change my cell selection by mouse, but then when I hit enter, it copies the cell(s) again.

Upvote 0
I've been investigating further (couldn't find a solution before using the term "copy", but I found things with "paste"), and it looks like the issue is in the very design of excel itself and there isn't a way to disable it. Has anyone found a work-around? I don't know why suddenly I ran into the issue today after using excel for years.

Upvote 0
You could use enter to do the first paste, which should then clear the clipboard, or press Esc after the first paste.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back