Prevent duplicate entries

Julee

Dear all,

I need to validate a particular cell, let's say A20, in the sheet1 that it would check all column B in the sheet2 whether there already exists such a text. If such a text already exists in column B of the sheet2, I need that it would inform the user with the MsgBox that such a text already exist. Is it possible to do this with excel VBA?

Thanks a lot!

Julee,

Sorry, I failed to note in your original post that the list is on Sheet2 and not Sheet 1.

I just tested this and it worked for me. You can use the same Data Validation steps I listed above, but use this formula instead: =COUNTIF(Sheet2!B:B,A20)<1

As I said, I tested it and an error message popped up if I entered data into cell A20 on Sheet1 that was an exact match of data in Column B on Sheet2. It allowed entry of non-matching data.

Just curious, are your sheets named "Sheet1" and "Sheet2"? If not that could be the problem.

Hope this works for you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Perhaps if you uploaded your spreadsheet to a shared location, Box.net, dropbox, etc. we might be able to assist more. dcofer makes a good point. Sheet1 and Sheet2 are the names used. You will need to change them in my code if it is something different. I tested my code and it works. So the next steps are up to you.

Alan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back