Prevent overlap through data validation

milt2010

Board Regular
Hi!
In a worksheet with a table with date, start time and end time that I will share online (on Onedrive) I would like to avoid overlapping when entering the new dates, start and end times.
Prevent Overlap with Data Validation - 2020-11-11_11-18-41.jpg

The scenario is exactly this: on the same day, it must not be possible to insert two times that overlap in some way (even by just 5 min.)
Very important: is it possible to make this work online through Data Validation?
I attach an Onedrive link, Prevent Overlap with Data Validation to open the file locally ("File"> "Info"> "Open in Desktop App") and for any online tests.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
hi,
What are you trying to achieve actually? Didnt get your question exactly.

If what I understood from your question is "creating a single entry for start and end time for each day", then you can always use conditional formatting to highlight the dates if they appear twice, and then manually change the data as required.

OR

You can use VBA to input the data through a userform, while checking each entry for a duplicate date.

A question though, why do you need data validation to complete this task?

Upvote 0
hi,
What are you trying to achieve actually? Didnt get your question exactly.

If what I understood from your question is "creating a single entry for start and end time for each day", then you can always use conditional formatting to highlight the dates if they appear twice, and then manually change the data as required.

OR

You can use VBA to input the data through a userform, while checking each entry for a duplicate date.

A question though, why do you need data validation to complete this task?
Hello and thank you for answer.
This is a meeting scheduling file. What I need, as this file will be used online together with other ADMINS, is that hours that have already been programmed cannot be entered in the same day and therefore create an overlapping of even just 5 minutes. Unfortunately I cannot use the VBA. I had originally integrated a VBA function to achieve this but the VBA only works locally online doesn't work. Also, simple conditional formatting is not good because it would not prevent a user from entering incorrect data as does data validation. For this I would like to use the data validation for its prerogative to make a warning / error message appear and block the insertion until the correct data is entered. I hope it is more understandable now ...

Upvote 0
Meaning...
each date can hold more then 1 meetings, but the hours should always be different?
or
each date should hold only 1 meeting.

Upvote 0
Meaning...
each date can hold more then 1 meetings, but the hours should always be different?
or
each date should hold only 1 meeting.
Yes, the first: each date can hold more than one meeting but the hours should always be different.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back