Prevent recalculation of formula when opening older ver

gpta

I want to be able to prevent Excel from recalculating formulas when opening a workbook with a newer version. This is not a one time need or on a case-by-case basis. The following KB article comes close but is for a single document - I need it blindly for all documents that are opened:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289111

Here is the reason I need this. I have a process that opens and auto prints many Excel files (from email attachments). A lot of them are from newer versions, but some are from older versions. When older versions open and then print, it leaves the Save prompt because formulas were 'recalculated'. This kills the process because it never closes to older version file. Does anyone have any ideas that could help? Thanks for looking.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
The Calculation property is inherited, so the solution in the KB article will apply to all workbooks that are subsequently opened in the same instance of Excel.

What are you using for your automation process?

Upvote 0
Hello,

Im not an expert, but if this is done through VBA, post what you have already so that people can maybe modify the existing code and maybe help improve the process.

Upvote 0
It is an add on to MS Outlook that will autoprint email attachments - in this case, Excel files. The product is Ornic InboxRules.

Whenever it comes across an excel file, it opens and autoprints it, but when trying to close it, it gets hung up with the Save dialog. Subsequent excel attachments will not open to be printed.

When I make the KB suggestion, it will not prompt me again for that specific file, but it will prompt me for others which is not helpful. Am I wrong or missing something?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I expect the Add-In is starting a new instance of Excel for each attachment. If that's the case I don't know a solution.

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe it is. InboxRules seems to simply mimic what right-clicking the excel file and selecting Print does. It opens the file, sends it to the default printer, and then closes it. Any other questions/suggestions?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back