Price Band help for Retail Finance

andysju

I have a list of products and their respective price (by month). In the worksheet I have the products in column A and then months across the top and their prices are the data points.

I have already used an array function to count how many of the products fall within various price bands for every month. For example, 10 were less then $100, 20 were between $100-$200, etc...

Now I need to know how to tell which products moved from one price band to another over time. For example, in March 1 product may have been priced at $150 and then in December it is $90. Therefore, it moved down a price band.

I am dealing with a lot of products, therefore any help I can get would be appreciated. Thank You!!!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi

I think you can get the effect you want using conditional formatting.

Assuming your data is set up such that you have the list of consecutive bands in say cells A34:A38 in a list format like 0, 100, 200, 300, 400 (much like a lookup table) then select the cell containing the first product but the 2nd month (in my instance cell C4), select menu option Format > Conditional Formatting :

Condition 1 : Formula Is : =LOOKUP(C4,$A$34:$A$38) < LOOKUP(B4,$A$34:$A$38), then pick a colour (like Red)<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = LOOKUP(B4,$A$34 /><LOOKUP(B4,$A$34:$A$38), p (like colour a pick then Red)<></LOOKUP(B4,$A$34:$A$38),>
<LOOKUP(B4,$A$34:$A$38), p (like colour a pick then Red)<>Condition 2 : Formula Is : =LOOKUP(C4,$A$34:$A$38) > LOOKUP(B4,$A$34:$A$38), then pick another colour (like Green)

Ok. The copy > paste special > formats over the rest of the data. This will highlight products who dropped a band Red and those that jumped up a band Green. Do not apply the conditional formats to the first months column, and make sure the band range starts with a 0 per my example. Modify the cell references to suit.

HTH, Andrew
</LOOKUP(B4,$A$34:$A$38),>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back