Print screen defaulting to entire wookbook

Descartes68

Hi,

Has anyone come across this problem before? When I go into the print screen to print any excel file the default is Entire Workbook instead of the normal Active sheet. This is a pain as it effects the print preview screen as well.

I would be grateful for any ideas! :biggrin:

Descrates68

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Here are some possibilities.

Click on File, Page Setup.
Select the Page tab, and select option button, Adjust to:
Now, select the Sheet tab, and make sure the Print area: is blank.

On the spreadsheet, do a Ctrl+Shift+End. If the whole spreadsheet becomes highlighted, delete the rows from the last one in use on down.
do the same for the columns.

Let us know if any of the aboe helped.

Upvote 0
Hi Katy,

Thank you for your ideas - I will get a chance to try them tommorow (Thursday) and will definitely let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

Descartes68

Upvote 0
Hi Katy,

I have tried the two ideas that you had, unfortunately they didn't work for me. The problem is occuring even in new workbooks which have not got any print areas defined - the default is still entire workbook. I have even done an uninstall and reinstall of Excel and the problem is still there.

Thanks again for your ideas, but I guess it's back to square one again!

Upvote 0
Here is one more thing to try. Click on File, Print. Check the bottom-right "Print what" and make sure the option button "Entire workbook" is NOT selected.

Upvote 0
Hi Katy,

Your last mail is stating my original problem! When I go in to any excel file (new or existing) the file print "print what" is set to "entire workbook". I know it is easy to change it to "active sheet" - but I shouldn't have to do this as "active sheet" is supposed to be the default setting in the first place.

Regards,

Descartes68

Upvote 0
Ah, yes, I understand that now! I just forgot that you had started with the "entire workbook" option as the default.

Open some other program, say, Word, and see if you get the same unwanted default for printing. I believe you will. This means that it is not an Excel problem, and not even your printer's problem, but, rather, the program file that governs printing. Here, I stop, as I don't know anything beyond this point, in the hope that a more knowledgeable person can point this out.

As a final note, you could try reinstalling Windows, as there is where the problem lies, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back