printing an excel document on top of a word document

medic5678

Board Regular
I have a word document that is a state form which cannot be altered. Filling it out is fairly complex logistically, but I can do it in Excel. The problem is that every way I try to embed the word document doesn't allow it to be behind the worksheet. I want to print out the filled out form. Was hoping I could somehow send the form to the background and generate my excel file filling it all in on top of the form. Any help much appreciated!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
It's really not clear what U want to do? R U embedding the Word doc in an XL worksheet? What do U mean behind the sheet? If U already have XL filling out the Word doc, why not just use some VBA to print the document? Why do U need to show the Word doc at all. Maybe a bit more info. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Dave, I've written a program using vba within Excel to fill the form out based on user inputs.. I need to form to appear, not just the information. The form is a word document. I ended up painstakingly recreating the document in Excel, which solved my problem. When I tried to import the Word form, I couldn't make it transparent. I couldn't send it behind the worksheet. When I tried to use it as a background, it did wonky things. I saved the document in PDF form and got nowhere with that. I converted it to a JPG file, and I couldn't make that work. I'm terribly deficient at Word, which doesn't help me at all.

Upvote 0
yes, pretty much that's it. The application involves maintaining a list which can be added to or reduced, some of which is printed on the document with calculations on each list element. It's quite easy to do the logistics with Excel. Not so sure how do that in Word. It would work fine if could convert a document from word to excel automatically (tried that, garbage), so I converted the document to Excel manually.

Upvote 0
So do U already have a Word document "template" with places (ie. bookmarks, tables, etc.) for the XL data or are U wanting to create a new Word document from start to finish each time as U go? Perhaps, maybe just placing a picture of your relevant XL sheet range in the document would do? I'm still having difficulties with where you're at. The application... is this XL? The list is printed on the document... the Word document where is the list maintained? Logistics are done on a spread sheet but U don't know how to do that in XL? It's just a lot easier knowing what the exact outcome is before starting. Dave

Upvote 0
Essentially, If I could send a Word doc to a printer and then send an Excel doc to the same printer and have them be combined, I'd have what I wanted. The Word doc contains the government form, the Excel doc the information I want it to contain. Note that I could print the Word doc, put the paper back into the printer and print the Excel doc, then I'd have the end result. The problem is that I don't know how to put the information from the Excel doc directly into the Word doc. I'm really surprised the Microsoft doesn't make this easy. Obviously, the limitation is that I don't know anything about vba and Word.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you may actually want to use a mail merge which MS has developed to make this type of thing easier. If that doesn't work, we can explore putting the XL stuff in the Word documented where needed. Dave

Upvote 0
It sounds like you may actually want to use a mail merge which MS has developed to make this type of thing easier. If that doesn't work, we can explore putting the XL stuff in the Word documented where needed. Dave
I think I'm going to embark on learning how to use VBA with word. Most of what you do in a spreadsheet can be easily managed with VBA using arrays and computations on those. I just had time pressure on me. As it was, I got a working solution in place in a couple of days working part time on it. Once I remade the document in Excel (I got so close you'd have to break out a micrometer to argue that it wasn't the exact form), it was a piece of cake. All in all, VBA is what it is. Not an iron clad solution, but nonetheless very powerful and quick as long as users don't try to crash it purposefully.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back